November 22, 2014, by Gemma Coleman

Student Ambassador Interview

My palms are sweaty. Knees weak, arms are heavy. There’s vomit on my sweater already, Mom’s spaghetti…

So things aren’t quite Slim Shady bad, but I wouldn’t currently consider myself as calm. The last time I had an interview, my trousers attached themselves to my chair and I left red-faced and with a brand new piece of furniture (result!). Today would be different, though, all I have to do is remember to breathe (and wear less dangerous clothing).

I am so chill right now

I am so chill right now

I arrive an hour early for the Student Ambassador interview (Student Ambassadors are the smiley green-shirted army of students who show you round at open days): 40 parts super keen, 60 parts bus timetabling problems. I am sat in reception in King’s Meadow Campus- a Nottingham Campus I only knew existed as of this morning- waiting with the other students. I know that now is the time to put on my über-confident/ potentially annoying face- my voice seems to be getting louder, my smile looks like I’ve slept with a coat hanger in my mouth and suddenly, everyone is funny. We are being led upstairs and the interviews are about to start.

Green shirt lovin'

Green shirt lovin’

There are quite a lot of people in the room and we are being told that this is the fifth set of interviews this week, so I know this is going to be a more serious process than at school, when the teachers had to practically beg people to fill the ambassador positions. We are split into three groups and have to complete three tasks- a group interview, a scenario task in pairs and an individual presentation-of-sorts. The day is long and the interviews are tough. But now comes the toughest part- waiting to see if I get the job!

Fingers crossed that I get a green shirt!

Posted in Gemma