June 16, 2013, by Ollie

and here I stand

Virtually alone in the rooms of Newark Hall. The place that was buzzing with excitement and anticipation, the place where it all started 9 months ago. I’m 1 of 3 people left on my corridor. It’s certainly a strange feeling this period of limbo I find myself in. It’s like I’m just waiting for the summer break to come and get me from my room and escort me to more good times and memories. On the other hand these few weeks post-exams have been very productive in the sense I’ve being able to make the most of social events and get out and do things – more importantly do things that I can then go on to write my blog about . Something everyone craved during those long hard days studying.

People have been drifting away since the end of exams and sadly I’ve enjoyed a few last suppers with some friends already.

Pizza, ciders and a film. Nothing is better.

Furthermore there was a mass exodus of people leaving after our Summer Ball but the summer ball itself was amazing. For £15 we were treated to a 3 course meal, entertainment and lots, I really can’t stress how much,  of wine. The weather stayed nice and the setting was gorgeous. The first year journey that I’ve experienced with my hall culminated in that night, how many people would I ever speak to again. A minority or the majority? I suspect the latter. Whilst sad I won’t forget the hall experience and I have forged good friendships that will carry over into next year and for the rest of my life. You can’t be friends with everyone in halls but doesn’t mean enemies were made. So Newark Hall I salute you!

The beautiful Goosedale Park was a great venue

a completely sober picture...

a completely sober picture…

BioSoc’s got talent was anothert event that happened. After a hard two days of panicking/practicing I danced a merry dance with a group of friends and we danced our hearts into second place. It has been done before and the many videos on Youtube back that up. But has it been done in The Den before? I highly doubt it. So I present to you. ‘Daft Bodies ft. Campbell, Bou, Iona, myself & Alastair’ in a still as the video isn’t on Youtube.

in action!

in action!

(If you want an idea of what was done search for Superkeysey – Daft Bodies’ for the version my friends did that is on Youtube)

I also had the pleasure of going to watch a friend perform in Klop/The Bedbug a play put on by students in the Russian. It was mentioned a few weeks ago here. https://blogs.nottingham.ac.uk/clas/2013/06/05/. It certainly suprised me and surpassed my expectations. Although not being able to understand a word in Russian I could understand the actors and actresses knew what they were talking about and to make the audience laugh and smile, without most of them understanding what was being said is an attribute to the top class acting on display.

Klop/The Bedbug had a helpful English synopsis!

With a few more upcoming events next week I still have something to look forward to before I can look forward to summer. It look’s like it will be a good one.

enjoying a drink outside might be a possibility in the summer months!

To finish, as I’m writing this I’ve just returned from my last weekend catered meal… perhaps of my life and it started me pondering. Many milestones have been reached this year, some admittedly more significant than others. One milestone I managed to reach on Thursday was an educational one, when you’ve been caught in a torrential downpour. Don’t leave your wet coat on your chair.

the result.

the result.

the culprit

the culprit

Posted in Ollie