March 14, 2013, by Ollie

Going on a bear hunt… to the zoo!

On Sunday I climbed aboard a coach at 8:30 and urged my friend to run from Sainsbury’s otherwise she’d miss the bus. If only I had my camera on me and I could have captured her running!
I’ll hopefully make up for that one missed photo opportunity by showing you lots of pictures of all the animals I saw at Chester Zoo. The occassion was a BioSoc event, a unique opportunity to do something slightly different than drinking as a University activity. I wonder what would happen if the zoo and drinking mixed… Anyways! We arrived at the zoo at 10:30 with 5 and a half hours til leaving time. Plenty of time to get round and see everything. Before we left the BioSoc challenges were announced.

1. Photobomb a photography student

Photobomb attempt apparently!

Photobomb attempt apparently!

2. Photo with a member of staff
  3. Pretend the monorail is a rollercoaster
  4. “Photoception” – take a photo of someone taking a photo.
    Photoception!

Dead eye!

5. Lecture a member of the public on the animal you are looking at. (it happened but couldn’t be documented!)
  6. Pretend to be the nearest animal to a member of the public (a video of Nadia shuffling like a penguin up to a group of the public would have been included if the file wasn’t too big!)

Definite animal mimicking here though!

Definite animal mimicking here though!

As we got to Chester the weather unfortuanetely turned and the animals, strangely, didn’t fancy going outside in the rain and smattering of snow but there was lots of fun to be had venturing through the Bat House and Butterfly House. Unless you have a phobia of ‘flapping’ because it’s ‘unnatural’ as one member of the group did!

Despite animals not being out and about in force, some were and others were still found chilling in their houses and you got to see the animals up close. Some of the highlights for me were:

the do I, don't I jump in Giant Otter

the do I, don’t I jump in Giant Otter

baby elephant!

baby elephant!

this fantastic shot captured by Daniel Buxton

these guys, just chilling

these guys, just chilling

the Cheetah that came and sat right in front of us after we waited for ages!

Jackson's attempt to fit in with the animals

Jackson’s attempt to fit in with the animals

lunch time with the meerkats!

lunch time with the meerkats!

And unfortuanetely as I can’t put up everything there was a rapping chimpanzee keeping calm in the midst of the other chimpanzee angst and the baby rhino who was hiding behind its mother!

The one sad moment. The sloths didn’t come out to play! They were asleep, suprisingly, in tight balls at the top of their tree. Well I’ll just have to catch one next year!

4pm came and BioSoc boarded the bus and left the magic of Chester Zoo behind. The £8 sweet bucket challenge defeated me and Ope on the coach back and not long after we had set off most people were fast asleep. The excitement had clearly worn us all out! I couldn’t think of a better way to spend a Sunday. Having a great day out with great the company that is BioSoc!

sugary heaven filled this bucket or as we found out hell!

What the backseat of the bus was like!

What the backseat of the bus was like!

Posted in Ollie