February 15, 2013, by Gemma

Sport vs. Food

I slipped during the game...

I slipped during the game…

After a really fun lacrosse tournament on Sunday (no comment about the score), my whole body ached for most of the week. The week’s remedies for my sport “injury”:

Watching other people play sport

On Monday we watched the Varsity basketball match at the Capital FM Arena. It’s such an amazing experience! I don’t exactly know how basketball works, except that you dribble a bouncy ball and get points for getting the ball in your respective hoop. But knowledge of the game doesn’t matter. Every time “Uni Of” scored, you get this rush of euphoria and so into the game.

In the first period, we were ahead by two points, but later Trent caught up. But good ol’ Uni of Nottingham showed the opposing team who was boss, and we beat them 83 to 70. UNAYYYYYY!

I’m so glad I went because it was my first Varsity match, and definitely something you should go to during your time at University. To be honest, it’s the first sports match I’ve ever watched live, and I can see why people get really obsessed with sports teams.

Hopefully they will release more tickets for the Varsity ice hockey. I’ve got the sports-watching bug!

Mascot dance-off

Mascot dance-off

Uni Of Scoring a basket.

Uni Of scoring a basket.

Half-time show

Half-time show

UNAYYYYYYY

UNAYYYYYYY

Eating and drinking

My friend and I tried an Italian/Spanish/Mexican restaurant called Capocci. The food was pretty tasty. My only criticism is that the portions were too small:

BBQ Chicken main course

BBQ Chicken main course

Cheesecake

Cheesecake

Afterwards we had fruity cocktails at Tilt, a cocktails and blues bar in the city centre. There are some really inventively named drinks on offer, like Suited Pear Smash, Zombie, and Razberitto. Yummy.

cocktails (6)

Celebrating Lent

For Lent this year, I’ve given up sweets, chocolate and crisps. It’s only been 2 days, and I’m already struggling. I’ve given away 2 packets of crisps and Haribo Tangfastics to my housemate to rid the temptations from my room. Although, I’m pretty sure that I will just replace the banned foods with something else. For example, last year when I gave up confectionery, I ended up eating an unhealthy amount of breadsticks. This year, it looks like the replacement will be Belvita breakfast biscuits. Oh well, you win some you lose some. Jesus lasted 40 days without food in the desert, so to be honest; giving up some luxuries should be a breeze.

Checking out the latest craze

So there’s apparently a new craze where girls pull ugly faces. You take a picture of yourself looking normal, and then place a photo next to it of you pulling the most hideous face possible. These are two of one of my favourites:

prettygirlsuglyfaces1

Click on the pic to get the full effect

Latest craze

Latest craze

See you next Friday!

Posted in 2012 Gemma