April 3, 2012, by Kay

Open Mic Nights, South East Asian Adventures and Peachy Keens

Hey there folks. If you’re still in Nottingham studying, I hope you’re working hardcore and being super productive. If you’re at home, I hope you’re enjoying it!

Last week I took part in a charity open mic night for ShareUganda. ShareUganda Society is one of the universities many charitable societies that campaigns on behalf of the ShareUganda not-for-profit organisation that works towards solutions of health problems in Southern Uganda. (see http://shareugandablog.com/ for more info)
One of their co-presidents is also a UNICEF Society member so we have familiar ties with ShareUganda events.

So anyway, Lizzy, Harriet and I (my flatmates) decided to take part.

Neither Lizzy and Harriet had done anything like it before so it was really exciting. I used to be in a band in sixth form and it had been a long time since I had last performed anywhere.  Back in college we played Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Electric Six, Rolling Stones and Cure songs in my living room 3 or 4 nights a week.

Open Mic Night in Nightingale Hall

At the open mic night our repertoire of cover songs were:

• Ordinary People ~ John Legend
  • Sweet Dreams ~ Beyonce
  • I Just Had Sex ~ The Lonely Island (this is damn hard to sing)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQlIhraqL7o&ob=av3e   —> original
  • Somebody that I Used to Know ~ Gotye
  • Two Doors Down ~ Mystery Jets

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

During the week me and Tanya booked more flights for our summer trip around Asia. So far we have UK—> Hong Kong—> Taiwan—> Singapore flights booked. But after we come back from Easter holidays we need to book flights from Malaysia to Phuket, Bangkok and Ho Chi Min. I do believe the lovely picture of the beach above is of Phuket so I’m super excited!

Anyone got any travel advice for the above mentioned destinations?

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Before term ended as well, my flatmates and I decided to celebrate the end of lectures with a pig out trip to Peachy Keens.

Peachy Keens is an ‘international’ live buffet restaurant in the city centre that serves Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Indian, Mexican and Italian food. It’s nice if you  literally want to eat your body weight in noodles and pizza.

Before..

...and after (why did I eat so much!?)

"Let's smear chocolate and ice cream on our faces to make it look like we really pigged out too much.."

Anyway, have a great week everyone! I shall be in the library studying (or trying to) as usual!

Love, Kay

Posted in 2011-Kay