February 5, 2012, by

The end of exams and the start of semester two

Hi everyone,
The first week back at lectures has been quite hard work! I think my second exam, on Saturday 21st, went pretty well; my last exam on Monday 23rd I wasn’t quite so happy with, but I think I did the best that I could have done and by that point I was just ecstatic to be finishing!
As that exam finished at 6.30pm, and as we thought that we deserved a bit of treat, a few friends and I decided not to bother with going straight home and cooking ourselves dinner; instead we called in on the way home at local pub the Rose and Crown, and had a delicious celebratory meal. We didn’t go for a night out in Nottingham that night as we were all thoroughly exhausted, as proven by the fact that on the Tuesday almost all I did was sleep. After a couple of weeks of staying up late and getting up early to work, there comes a point where you just have to catch up on your missed sleep! I also managed to do a fair bit of reading that day; it was very nice to spend a long period of time reading purely for the pleasure of it, rather than constantly thinking about what reading I had to do next for my course.
However, skipping forward a few days, I did have to get back into the swing of things and start preparing my work for this semester’s worth of modules. Having just finished my first week back after quite a substantial period of time of just self-study, I have to say it has been a little difficult to start working to a timetable again. As well as that, this week we had a meeting about third year dissertations – for my course, English, a dissertation is optional (you can choose to take an extra module instead). I still haven’t quite decided yet whether or not I want to do one, but I have a month to decide and to draw up a proposal.
Also this week, I have been house hunting with my friends for next year! House hunting can take up a lot of time, so you have to be prepared for that; that is why it is good to get it out of the way at the beginning of the semester, before the deadlines start to pile up. However at the same time a lot of people rush into it and end up with either a house, landlord or contract that they are not happy with over time. We have found a house that we really like and are currently working together with the landlord to make sure we are all happy with the contract. Fingers crossed we will get it all sorted out soon.
Have a good week,
Georgina

Posted in 2011-Georgina