Helena Cooper- photograph 1

May 24, 2016, by Editor

Studying in Malaysia

This blog has been written by Helena Cooper, a third year student on our MPharm programme.

The prospect of studying in Malaysia was the deciding factor in me choosing The University of Nottingham. Although it seemed scary at the time, I decided to take up the opportunity to study in Malaysia for the whole of my second year. I can now say it was one of the best decisions I have made.

Along with the amazing weather and countless holidays, it gave me the opportunity to experience life and pharmacy in a different culture. The course runs in exactly the same way as the UK course so there were few differences in terms of education. The Pharmacy School is smaller in Malaysia so you get to know the lecturers well and they are very helpful. While in Malaysia you also get continued support from lecturers in the UK. Everyone at the Malaysia campus is really friendly and I soon got to recognise most faces. It is easy to get involved as society events are open and advertised to the whole University. I would definitely recommend this because I have made friends from all over the world from joining in different social events.

Of course a big attraction for most people going to Malaysia is the travelling. Once in Malaysia travelling around East Asia is easy and you find you can get a long way in a weekend for very little money. Flights are cheap, hostels usually cost only £5-10 pounds a night and we would refuse to pay more than £3 for a meal!

Helena Cooper - photograph 2

Some of the places I travelled to included Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thialand and Bali. Other students went to Myanmar, Hong Kong, Japan, Philippines and Australia and two friends even got as far as Hawaii on the way home.

Helena Cooper - photograph 3

Posted in Pharmacy abroadPharmacy Student LifeStudent Life