November 24, 2014, by offcampus

In The Hotseat: Rachel Van Krimpen

Today we have our second instalment in our In The Hotseat series, and we have the person behind this blog, Rachel Van Krimpen, stepping up to tell us more about her role.

Tell us a little bit about your job and how you work with students: 

I work as Off Campus Affairs Assistant here at the University of Nottingham. The Off Campus Student Affairs department is responsible for dealing with matters concerning students that take place off campus. Much of my role concerns the running of educational campaigns to help students get the most out of living in the community, organising events, working with partner organisations such as the Police and Councils and also handling any student welfare and disciplinary matters which happen off campus. I take responsibility for the department’s Twitter account and this blog too.

As a department, we also run a module in PR Project Management as part of the Nottingham Advantage Award and I’m the Deputy Warden of St Peter’s Court and Raleigh Park halls of residence.

At an event I organised in Beeston.

A community event I organised in Beeston.

What’s your favourite part of your job? 

I love the variety of my job – one day I could be running a large campaign launch event, and the next attending multi-agency problem-solving meetings or developing a new awareness campaign. I get to work with a huge variety of people – lots of students, of course, but also a big range of people from all sorts of external organisations. No two days are ever the same, and I enjoy that enormously.

I also like to see the reaction of students to campaigns I’ve worked on – particular favourites lately have been the enthusiastic response to our You Go Together personal safety campaign and the wheelie bin pen pots that accompany our Love Where You Live waste management campaign.

What jobs have you done before?

When I graduated (I have a BA in English Studies and an MA in Old English Studies from the University of Nottingham), I spent a year working as an IT Product Manager before gaining a place on the University’s Graduate Trainee Programme. Following completion of the GTP, I worked in the University of Birmingham Graduate School as a Research Council Studentships Officer before coming back to work in my current role at Nottingham in January 2013.

As a student I worked in the Co-Op on Ilkeston Road, temped as a PA and Office Manager, sold furniture, helped with Graduate Recruitment events and worked as an Activities Assistant at an international summer school as well as being a student ambassador and presenting at open days.

What do you get up to in your spare time?

Abseiling in the Peak District

Abseiling in the Peak District

I perform in shows with Beeston Musical Theatre Group. Most recently I learnt a little bit of tap dancing and took to the stage in Anything Goes, and we’re soon going to be rehearsing for a New York themed concert in the spring. I’ve recently taken up rock climbing too, and like to spend an evening per week at the Nottingham Climbing Centre. My other main loves are all things foodie, folk music, and my three guinea pigs, Lucius, Janus and Theodosius.

Theodosius, Janus and Lucius

Theodosius, Janus and Lucius

What’s your favourite holiday destination?

I spent my 21st birthday in Istanbul, which has to be one of my favourite holiday destinations. There’s so much to see and do, and so much history at your fingertips – plus the bazaars are full of the most wonderful things to buy and the food is delicious. I am also a huge fan of Japan, particularly Kyoto – again, fantastic culture and amazing food with the added bonus of 24/7 karaoke availability.

What’s your favourite joke?

How do you kill a circus?
Go for the juggler!

Posted in Guest blog