January 27, 2021, by School of Medicine

Taking MPT to an MDT – Interprofessional Collaborative Workshop

In the current Covid-19 climate it is hard to remember how 2020 started off, however like any year, there are memorable moments of Uni life worth reminiscing over. One such event was participating in the Interprofessional Learning Event last February where, as a second year (Part I) MPT Student, I had the opportunity to collaborate with students from other healthcare disciplines to produce a patient care plan poster.

Poster of a patient care plan

The poster we created of our patient care plan.

Let me set the scene. Four Midwifery students, a Pharmacy student and me with our Case about a Patient with Pre-eclampsia and 1 hour to research, decide on a short- and long-term plan, and produce a poster worth presenting to the rest of the attendees!

It was a fantastic experience. I really enjoyed getting to know students from other healthcare disciplines as a multi-discplinary Team (MDT). I learnt a lot from our exchange of knowledge, skills, and research. It highlighted the importance of teamwork – listening when necessary and taking the lead when needed, for effective patient care. Negotiation, the ability to support one’s decisions, retrieving good levels of relevant literature under time pressures and public speaking – all vital skills, that this event helped me develop.

Overall, the event was a symbol of the enriching purposes of inclusivity and diversity, equipping healthcare professionals to be competent to deliver efficient patient care. I really recommend attending this event open to Part I MPTs. It may be organised differently next year (probably online), but I am confident that the experience will be just as enriching – what you learn about yourself, teamwork, and the invaluable skills you develop will equip you well in MPT and for the rest of your professional lives.

The event is run by our University of Nottingham’s Centre for Interprofessional Education and Learning (keep an eye for their email).

By Kiara Abayasekara (Third Year MPT)