April 27, 2020, by School of Medicine

Rowan: My experience studying Cancer Sciences

Rowan Hill smiling at the camera2019 saw the first intake of our Cancer Sciences BSc and MSc. We caught up with one of our students, Rowan Hill, to see how he was finding the course and what led him to studying with us.

Why did you choose to study Cancer Sciences at Nottingham?

I was looking for a very specific course and knew I wanted to go into either genetics or cancer, and this course is everything in one that I was looking at doing so it seemed like a no brainer.

Why do you think people should study Cancer Sciences at Nottingham?

With Cancer being quite a big and important field of research, I think it’s very useful for people to come in and do this, and if by the end of the course they decide it isn’t for them, like the way I look at it is you can still go into other biological fields. But you’ve got a nice core basis of knowledge because you don’t just do cancer, you do tons of bits around cancer.

What do you like about Nottingham?

It was in a perfect zone of not too far but quite close to home and it’s still quite well located in the UK and there’s plenty of stuff to do in the city I find, there’s plenty of pubs and bars so that ticks me off. The uni campus is definitely up there with my favourite campuses, even just walking through Jubilee on the way to lectures is really nice.

How have you found the course so far?

I’ve quite enjoyed how the lectures feel more like seminars because it’s quite a small course and it’s professionals in the field on the specific topics we’re learning which are giving you the information and I can’t think of a lecture where I’ve come out and thought ‘oh that was long, boring and dull’, you always come out with something that you then develop on in the next one, it all adds up.

Posted in AdmissionsCancerStudent Life