October 26, 2020, by International students

Chevening Scholars of Nottingham

Applications for Chevening Scholarships in 2021 are closing soon. We asked some of this year’s Chevening Scholars for their thoughts about Chevening and their decision to study with us at Nottingham.

Ayesha

Ayesha Urooj

“Education is not only acquired in the classroom, but it is learned from experience and exposure as well. With Chevening, dreams come true. It opens doors to endless possibilities, sets you on a journey to advance yourself as leaders, and make everlasting bonds. Becoming a part of the Chevening and University of Nottingham community acted as a catalyst in the growth of my social connections and provided an opportunity to expand my circle into a diverse global network to achieve common goals for a sustainable future.”

– Ayesha Urooj, studying MSc Electrical Engineering for Sustainable and Renewable Energy

Naomi

Naomi Matthew

“I applied for a Chevening Scholarship because of my desire to be part of a prestigious global community of professional scholars and at the same time gain the experience of a lifetime in the UK. My goal is to become an experienced and reputable development economist actively embarking on projects to increase my country’s resiliency to natural hazards and economic shocks.

One of my reasons for choosing the University of Nottingham is that through research I found out that the professors possess impressive knowledge of developing countries like Africa and other low-income countries, which is a strong advantage for me emerging from such a background. This was reaffirmed by past scholars who attended the university. I started my first three weeks remotely and the university has been very supportive thus far, I felt like I was on campus. Apart from attending lectures and seminars, I look forward to learning the culture and traditional cuisine of the British, and also visiting historical museums and landmarks.”

– Naomi Matthew, studying MSc Development Economics

Nicole

Nicole Usher

“My career prospects coupled with the desire for personal growth motivated me to apply for the UK’s Chevening Scholarship Scheme. I aspired to fortify my skills in economic development and policy, expand my professional network, and develop my leadership abilities to better serve my country. It did not take long for me to identify the University of Nottingham as my first choice. In the short time that I have been here, I have met amazing people from different backgrounds and cultures, made memories that will last a lifetime, explored the wonderful city of Nottingham, and even found Robin Hood!

As the deadline to apply for the 2021/2022 Chevening Award cohort approaches on 3 November 2020, I encourage future scholars to consider the University of Nottingham as their first choice. It is an excellent institution to pursue higher education and meet lifelong friends. I can attest that it has exceeded my expectations in every way. If you are in search of an extraordinary academic, social, and global experience, look no further than the University of Nottingham.”

– Nicole Usher, studying Economic Development and Policy Analysis

Read more about Nicole’s Chevening story and her experiences at Nottingham

Peter

Peter Paul Akanko

“I applied for the Chevening Scholarship because I found it as the perfect fit to help me gain more knowledge and experience in business and to build the right networks to help me expand my business across the world and economically empower more kente weavers and other artisans in Ghana. I also intend to help nurture more Social Entrepreneurs to help solve problems in Ghana and Africa at large.

Looking through various UK universities, I found the programmes and modules of the University of Nottingham amazing, and with the support I received from Emma Tayou (Nottingham’s Regional Manager for West Africa) and the Admissions team throughout my application till now, I developed further love for the University. The induction and introductory courses have been great so far with a lot of great professional development opportunities available. I feel very welcomed and I know at the end of the programme I will be glad I chose to study at the University of Nottingham.”

– Peter Paul Akanko, studying Msc Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Management

Read more about Peter’s story and his advice for Chevening applicants

Apply for Chevening

Chevening Scholarship applications for 2021-22 close on Tuesday 3 November 2020. You don’t need to receive a masters course offer at the time of applying, but we recommend applying for your chosen masters degree courses as soon as possible since you will need an offer later in Chevening’s application timeline.

Find out more about Chevening Scholars at Nottingham and apply through the Chevening website.

Posted in ScholarshipsUncategorized