July 22, 2020, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Romaine from Jamaica

Romaine is a Jamaican student who is studying MSc Crop Improvement

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

My foremost reason for choosing the University of Nottingham is the structure and relevance of the module contents of the course that I was seeking to study. I was accepted to two other universities for similar MSc courses. However, I found the contents of the Crop Improvement Course were more ideal for me at the UoN, as it would more aptly complement my background in agronomy, and enhance my skills. Secondly, I was particularly pleased with the wide array of clubs and societies available, and immediately considered involvement in one or more of them.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

It’s hard to find a favourite thing when you’re so well-catered for. Nevertheless, I would rank the support systems available to assist students as my favourite thing about the University.

In the first week, all the avenues for students to get assistance if you are struggling with learning and adapting is drilled into your head. We were advised to consult the graduate centres, your tutors, your module convenors and your course coordinators if we encounter any problems. Campus counsellors advising to you drop in, and support from the campus Chaplain was quite reassuring. We are constantly reminded ‘not to suffer in silence’. I have definitely made use of these resources and found them quite useful in rectifying my problems.

What is the best thing about your course?

I like the feasibility of the course and its applicability to the 21st century concerning food security. I am particularly pleased with the hands-on approach of learning, complemented with the theoretical aspects. In addition to lectures, we get to work in the laboratory and conduct field experiments.

What do you do with your spare time, and what are your hobbies?

I like to go to the gym and work out. I think it breaks some of the stress of studying and completing coursework.

I like learning about other countries and their culture. Therefore, I attend the Globe Café, which is a gathering where mainly international students come and socialise and make friends. It a great opportunity to learnt British customs and experience other cultures from all over the world.

Also, prior to commencing my pursuit of an MSc, I just started to learn how to play to piano, so in my free time, I practise what I have learnt. I like singing. Being based at the Sutton Bonington Campus, I get the opportunity to be involved with the SB Singers! We practise for numerous choir performances. I thoroughly enjoy being a member!

What do you like about Nottingham as a city?

I love ease of transport to the city from the University using the trams and buses. Since the city is out of London, the prices are much affordable when shopping. I like the diversity of the city and enjoy the atmosphere during the holidays such as Halloween and Christmas.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

Make the best of the opportunity. Use the resources available to you. The University makes a tremendous effort to meet the needs of each and every student.

Don’t forget to participate! There are so many clubs and societies available that it will be hard for you to choose but get involved with a least one.

Ensure you practise proper time management to balance it all because the MSc programmes can be quite demanding, especially when your adjusting to a different education system. Also, for non-native English speakers, if you need assistance in enhancing your skills in writing and speaking, that option is available. Come with an open mind to learn and explore the UK.

Posted in International Student Ambassadors