April 15, 2020, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Farheen from Pakistan

Farheen is a Pakistani student studying a PhD in Smart Cities and Coproduction

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

I have chosen University of Nottingham as it is recognized for its global student body that is a beautiful culmination of diverse cultures coming together. As an international applicant, Nottingham’s renowned reputation for teaching excellence and on-campus accommodation for postgraduate students are two things that really convinced me to pursue further studies here.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

UoN is built across three different campuses, and I love walking around these campuses discovering new buildings and gardens. When I first visited UoN, I was taken aback by the scenic environment at the campuses. Jubilee and Uni Park campuses both have water bodies, and various gardens that make for amazing walks.

The faculty and support staff are incredibly accommodating of the International Students, and supported me immensely during my first few months at UoN.

What is the best thing about your course?

My supervisors have let me choose my research direction, and are letting me lead the PhD. This has definitely been a learning curve, but they are constantly available for support, in person or over email. The constant accessibility I have to help has boosted my confidence.

What do you like about Nottingham as a city?

It’s a big and busy city which means there’s always lots to do even out of University. Nottingham is a student-centred city, which means the large number of students makes the city safer in itself. Although the city has a modern infrastructure, it has a lot of history, which means you’re always discovering new things around town.

What is your experience of accommodation in Nottingham?

I live at St. Peters Court, and its my second year living here. I love my accommodation. Other than the various amenities, the management and maintenance are very efficient in their work. My parcels never get lost because reception is in charge of holding them for students. The hall exclusively offers en-suite rooms, which I prefer. Th hall is relatively new, so its amazing.

My room has a very nice view, the hall hosts events throughout the year that cater to all cultures and nationalities which in hindsight helps bring students together to socialise and meet new people.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

The first few weeks play a crucial part of your social life at the University. Reach out to people you meet at registrations, first lectures and welcome week social events. Start conversations and make plans to go to these welcome week events with new people. The first few weeks you’ll get endless opportunities to make friends, so let your inhibitions go and socialise socialise socialise.

Make sure to sign up for the International Welcome Week. This is so you do not miss out any events at the University. Be vary of the welcome week dates and book your flights accordingly so you can get here in time.

The University will be sending in emails to prepare you for everything that lies ahead in your UoN journey, make sure you read through these thoroughly, so you have a mental checklist of to-dos in the first few days.

Posted in International Student Ambassadors