April 13, 2020, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Soumya from India

Soumya is an Indian student who is studying MSc Mental Health: Research and Practice

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

It is world top 100 university. It had the perfect course that fit to my desires. It was also known for its international student friendly environment. Nottingham was a perfect city to pursue my masters.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

The University has one of the most co-operative staff and approachable professors that I have seen. It has great facilities, resources and academic standards.

What is the best thing about your course?

The course caters to a student like me, who wants to pursue a career in research and practice like a clinician as well. It is teaching me all the skills that is required to perform clinical duties and conduct state-of the art research. My head of the department is very approachable and has given me lots of opportunities and guidance.

What was your first impression of the University of Nottingham?

After I moved in to Nottingham, I first came to visit the University and take my parents for a tour. The first impression was set by the outstanding infrastructure. The Djanogly library, the lake in the centre and the walk from the Exchange building to Jubilee Conference centre was a feast for the eyes.

What do you do with your spare time, and what are your hobbies?

I love to travel. In my spare time, I try to visit new areas, districts and towns. I also like to volunteer for non-profit organizations like mind.org.uk and other mental health societies. I am a part of the Indian society, the Yoga society and the British Red Cross.

What do you like about Nottingham as a city?

The city of Nottingham has a very student friendly environment. There are a high number of international students in the city, which sets an environment for co-operation, understanding and kindness towards each other. A majority of restaurants and shops give student discounts which is beneficial for students. The city also has a rich history, being the home for Robin Hood.

What is your experience so far of the University of Nottingham?

My experience at University of Nottingham so far has been particularly splendid. It is one of the most beautiful chapters in the book of my life. I have experienced growth, learning and developed more as a psychologist. I have learned skills that can be applied globally and formed a personality that is ready to face anything that comes my way. At University of Nottingham, I have understood the value of hard work and perseverance. The University also has supportive staff in the form of Welfare and Study support groups, which provide much needed help in times of distress. I also really liked the idea of having hopper buses between campuses, which makes the University very student friendly.

What is your experience of accommodation in Nottingham?

I currently live in Radford Mill. It is a completely new accommodation. My experience has been smooth and without any difficulties. It has all the facilities and any repair and maintenance are done immediately after the complaint is filed. The management staff hosts social events which are a good platform for connecting and networking. The rooms are comfortable and spacious, with good ventilation. The fire safety drill is performed regularly. The safety staff at night is very responsive and alert, therefore making our stay a safe place.

What have you learnt from being a student at the University of Nottingham?

Being a student at University of Nottingham, I have learnt higher standards of research. I have learnt to live on my own. The university has given value to my previous experience of work and given me various opportunities because of it. At the University, I have realised the importance of every event in life that teaches us a lesson and how important it is for growth.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

My top tips for any new student would be:

You should come without any worry of food and accommodation. There are a variety of options for food and places to stay/rent.

There are more than 300 clubs and societies in the university. But in case, you don’t fit in any you can go ahead and start your own. It takes only 2 people to start a club!

There are interesting part time jobs available. If you are an international student, looking to support yourself Unitemps will guide you in the right direction.

The University has outstanding career and employability services, which will help you with your CV’s, resume, job applications etc. They will help you with any problems you have regarding any work/job related issues and queries.

The resources at University of Nottingham are top-notch. You will be entering a world top 100 university that will prepare you for any challenge that lies ahead.