April 10, 2020, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Zhe from Malaysia

Zhe is a Malaysian student who is studying MEng Civil Engineering

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

The reason I choose the University of Nottingham because the study environment in University of Nottingham is something that I always looking forward to. The places that we can study and also the places we can relax are comfortable and convenient, this provide me everything I need for my study life. Besides that, the University of Nottingham facilities such as David Ross Sport Centre, teaching and learning centre and library provide me an absolute wonderful experience as a student in university. Besides that, the opportunity to meet people from around the world giving the chance to know their cultures is one of the reasons that I choose the University of Nottingham.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

My favourite thing about University of Nottingham is the campus life. With the combination of convenient store to David Ross sport centre, it just provides a complete full package of campus life that I always wanted for my university life. Once awhile I can get to the city with the bus which is very convenient and sometimes, I can get to David Ross Sport Centre where I can play my favourite sports, everything is just within walking distance within the campus.

What is the best thing about your course?

The best thing about my course are the opportunity to know more friends from different country which we can share a lot of our common interest and different cultures. With the course structure surrounding with group projects and group discussing this provide us chance to meet people and know more people from around the world.

What do you like about Nottingham as a city?

Nottingham is a historic and cultural city, although it might not be the biggest city but the people here are really friendly and always willing to help. Nottingham is an underrated shopping place therefore it will be really convenient to shop for grocery and household items. Besides that, talk about life outside of campus Nottingham got it all, it always have different event happening in the city and I never get boring exploring around the city.

What have you learnt from being a student at the University of Nottingham?

I have learned to be independent in my student life here in the University of Nottingham, the study environment and also life outside of campus really provide me the chance for me to step out of my comfort zone and learn how to manage myself. The experience here really helped me a lot not just as a student but as a person as well.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

The top tips from me to the new international students are just to be calm when you first enter the university and enjoy the year you study in University of Nottingham, although sometimes you will feel a bit homesick but try step out of your comfort zone and experience the life here and cherish every moment you got in the time you studying here because you will definitely not regretting your time here in the University of Nottingham. Last but not least, always remember to bring an umbrella wherever you go because the weather here is really unpredictable.

Posted in International Student Ambassadors