April 8, 2020, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Qiyan from China

Qiyan is a Chinese student who is studying BSc Computer Science

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

I chose the University of Nottingham because UoN is one of the universities whose graduates are most welcomed by employers in UK. I hope that when I apply for a job in the future, I can get professional and effective advice and guidance. Moreover, I did some research in the course I have taken when I was applying for it. The teaching style attracts me a lot. It combines practice with theory. Every week, there is lectures and labs to help students understand and practise. I believe it would help me learn more and achieve more.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

My favourite thing about UoN is its buildings. My course is Computer science, so I am based in Jubilee campus. The buildings on Jubilee campus are very beautiful, and each one is very design-oriented and is said to have won awards. When you teach and study in such a campus with a very modern art sense, you will feel very pleased. There is also cute Notting Ducks, which makes you feel that the campus’s ecological environment is very beautiful, people and nature live in harmony, making people physically and mentally happy.

What is the best thing about your course?

The best thing about Computer Science is its module covers almost every aspect of the field of computer science, which allows students to have a very comprehensive overview of computer science. It enables students to be more clear about the direction they are interested in when applying for master, which is more helpful for future career development. Moreover, every computer science teacher is very nice. As long as you have a question, they will be patient to help you answer it, so that students can learn some real knowledge.

What do you do with your spare time, and what are your hobbies?

I usually go to the gym during my spare time. I like sports very much. I think the meaning of life lies in sports. Exercise makes my brain more flexible and clearer, which helps me think. Exercise also keeps my body healthier and won’t get sick easily. Exercise also makes me more appetite. I cook every day. I balance the intake of vegetables and meat. I also like photography very much. I usually go to Wollaton Park for walking and taking pictures. I think the scenery there is very beautiful and it is perfect for relaxing yourself.

What do you like about Nottingham as a city?

I love a small city like Nottingham. I think it’s quiet, not as noisy as London. Living in Nottingham makes me more enjoy my fulfilling life. I can walk to school every day without taking the subway. The supermarket is right in front of my house, which is very convenient. Prices are also cheap, which saved me a lot of cost of living. Friends are also in direct contact with each other and everyone meets every day. Of course, small cities are also great for meditation.

What are you planning to do next with your career?

I will start an internship this summer. I think internship is very important for university students. It helps me to be more competitive when applying for master. It can also increase my social experience and improve my overall quality, not just my learning ability. The internship allowed me to have a clearer understanding of my future life plan and let me know which direction I will go in the future.

Posted in International Student Ambassadors