March 1, 2019, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Syed from Bangladesh

Why did you choose to study your specific course and what are your favourite aspects of the course so far?

Accounting and finance have been my first love from the age of eighteen and since then I have been loyal, committed and appreciated various perspective of this sector of study. From an academic perspective, I graduated from my undergraduate course in accounting and finance, after that I studied Chartered Accountancy and worked in one of the big four accounting service providing firms. To climb the structured ladder of academic sequence, it was a pretty obvious choice for me to pursue my Masters in this subject area. While my doing Masters here in one of the most prestigious universities of the UK, I enjoyed the teaching methods used by the lecturers and the depth they brought while discussing topics relevant to the modules. The way I have been taught to learn about the real-world scenarios is brilliant and I am excited to attend my other modules in the remaining period of my masters.

How do you hope your course will impact on your future career?

I believe that to have a successful career, you must enjoy what you do with the influence of your academic background. Saying that, I have enjoyed every aspect of this field of study, even when I have failed to meet expectations. So, the completion of this Masters will not only bring enhanced knowledge under my belt, but the experience that I am having here studying in Nottingham, in this mind-blowing well-reputed institution, will help me to grow as a person and will assist me to become successful in my career.

Describe your experience of the teaching on your course at the University of Nottingham.

To describe the experience that I’ve had in terms of teaching on my course, I have to start from the first appearances of my course instructors at the very first lecture of the modules; they had that look in their eyes where a student can feel calm and can understand that the teachers will be there to support in any relevant academic difficulties. After that, the aims of the lectures seemed clear to me and I found motivation to not only understand their explanations, but also to achieve a good grade.

What attracted you to the UK?

From my childhood, I have heard and read about The United Kingdom of Great Britain, the history, the tradition, the richness of its culture, and so many other good things. It was a dream for me to stay and experience the life of the UK, and being a student here, pursuing Masters in a highly reputed educational institution was the best possible fit for me.

What was your experience of arriving in the UK/in Nottingham?

Being an individual from the sub-continent, weather was the most challenging fact for me that required adjustments. So, I arrived in Birmingham as early as I could just to be familiar with the weather condition. As I could not find any immediate accommodation at Nottingham, I had to travel from Birmingham attend the registration process in the welcome week. This travelling experience was the best thing that could ever happen to me after arriving at the UK. I got familiar with the lifestyle and culture of this great nation more efficiently than I could ever imagined. Overall so far, I’ve had the best time of my life and intensely looking forward to the rest of my journey here.

How do you manage your money as a student?

When it comes to management of money for a student, it’s simple; just be a student and have a proper life of a student. Let me explain this, normally all the students share few common thoughts which circulates around few specific objects; study for the course, eat healthy, travelling to new places and maintain a basic benchmark of fashion. Now, if we evaluate these, we will see that none of them requires that much expenses to acquire. Just need some basic planning skills and local knowledge of where to shop (e.g. Primark, TK MAX) or where to buy groceries (LIDL, Tesco, ASDA) or which transportation should be used to travel (National Express).

What has been your experience of making friends with people from other countries?

Amazing! The best part of being a student is that I can make new friends and being able to learn so many things about different cultures from various countries is the icing on the cake.

If you were awarded a scholarship, please give details of the scholarship and the impact it has had on your studies.

It was my honour when I received the Business School Scholarship for my Masters programme and it motivated me to be more focused and studious towards my education.

How was your experience of finding accommodation – why did you choose to live where you live and what are the best aspects of it?

I live in Leicester with one of my family members in a private accommodation and regular commute to the Jubilee Campus of the University of Nottingham. It might sound difficult to most of the readers, but I believe I am lucky to experience two great cities of the UK at the same time. The best aspects for me living at Leicester is that, I have the unique opportunity to travel daily and experience new things every single day.

Do you work part time? Tell us about where you work and your experience of working in the UK

I have recently been recruited to be a part of an amazing team of International Student Ambassadors at the University of Nottingham. As of this moment, I have not had the opportunity to experience that much, but we will be attending a training session soon which will surely open doors to unlimited prospect of opportunities.

What are your tips for making friends and adapting to cultural differences?

I think that when someone is eager to learn and open to new experiences while showing respect to others, anybody will be able to make new friends with different cultural backgrounds. The most important thing is to listen to what others have to say, a good listener will always make friends for a lifetime.

Do you have any tips for adapting to the academic environment in the UK?

Observe, gather and deliver – these three things should be considered with importance. At class or at lab sessions, we should have the tendency to observe. Observe what is happening around you or observe what the lecturers are trying to convey. Then comes the characteristics of gathering information. We should accumulate as much knowledge as we can, as probably that is something which can be obtained without any cost. Lastly, deliver the knowledge and learnings at seminars, at workshops and at exam papers.

How have you adapted to the climate?

Being an individual from Bangladesh where the average temperature is 25 °C, I have not adapted to the climate yet and I don’t want to adapt. I have come to this great country to experience the greatness of the nation, to know about the culture and to enjoy the differences that I have never experienced in my life time. I believe that if I get used to the climate, I will not enjoy everything about the UK as much as I am enjoying now.

If you have any questions about studying at the University of Nottingham as an international student, you can get in touch with our International Ambassadors via email.

Posted in International Student Ambassadors