April 10, 2018, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Taylor from the United States

Our International Student Ambassadors provide campus tours, telephone calls and social media for international students preparing to study at Nottingham. Taylor is from the United States and is studying MA International Law, Security, and Terrorism. Here are her thoughts on life at Nottingham.

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

I chose Nottingham because its Law school was ranked quite highly within the UK. UoN was also close enough to London and within Europe whilst being cost efficient too.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

The best thing about Nottingham is the staff. They are incredibly knowledgeable, dedicated and want every student to learn. Many of the professors in the law school are practicing and bring insightful and current perspectives about issues happening today.

What is the best thing about your course?

It is astonishingly interesting and current. Studying law can be dry sometimes, but here it is always active and you are very engaged in the classroom.

What do you do with your spare time, and what are your hobbies?

I like to stay active, so have joined the Athletics/Track and Field team, Canoe- Polo team and have done tasters and engaged with the archery, polo, rock climbing, and cycling clubs. There is plenty to do on campus and you can try something new each week, I take advantage of this and go to anything sports related as well as the law symposiums.

What societies have you got involved with?

I was involved in the United Nations Society before coming to campus and have continued since being here, going to six conferences (so far) throughout the UK and Europe. I am also a member of the Law Society, Pro Bono Society and the LGBT+ Society.

What is your experience of accommodation in Nottingham?

I don’t live on the University Park Campus but live closer to Jubilee Campus, in student living. Being a postgraduate student, I didn’t want to live in dorms, so the self-catered and off campus option was better for me. I have great flatmates and feel safe living in this area. I didn’t have an issue finding housing and fellow student athletes haven’t either.

What are you planning to do next with your career?

My goal after completing my programme is to get a job working for the United Nations, an affiliate, or another NGO. I would like to work in the area of armed conflict resolution and peacekeeping in struggling countries.

What is your favourite thing about your course?

My course is very interesting and there is always something relating to international law and the conflicts occurring every day. I can apply everything that I learn to what is happening now. Another thing that is great about my course are the opportunities that is provides me with.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

My top tip is to do your research, check out every inch of the school’s website, know your potential programme well and find sports teams and clubs you’re interested in. If you don’t do your research you go into the situation ‘blind’. Once you’ve done your research, my next tip is to ask questions, it’s never bad to ask them, ask people to be honest with you and learn as much as you can.

Posted in International Student AmbassadorsInternational Student callers