March 14, 2018, by International students

International Student Ambassador: Valeria from Cyprus

Our International Student Ambassadors provide campus tours, telephone calls and social media for international students preparing to study at Nottingham. Valeria is from Cyprus and is studying BSc Economics. Here are her thoughts on life at Nottingham.

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

I was intrigued by what the city offered, including the bars, clubs and restaurants as well as Nottingham Castle and Wollaton Park. Additionally, I was amazed by how the University of Nottingham has a campus rather than it being in the city centre, like some other universities. Additionally, when looking at rankings, it was in the top 10 universities for Economics and I felt that I had a broad range of opportunities and support if I studied here. My choice was also influenced by the fact that the university has campuses in Asia because I ideally wanted to take a semester or course abroad.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

The vast amount of societies available. There are more than 300 societies, each focusing on different areas. I was intrigued by the choices, support and encouragement I had to start a new hobby, join a society and even become a member of a society’s board.  It is also a great opportunity and really interesting to find something that you might not have known you were good at whilst meeting people from different courses, countries and cultures. I also love how many societies offer training courses and field trips, an example of how it is a choice of each individual to invest their time and explore something new.

What is the best thing about your course?

That I have a choice in my final year of the modules I want to study; there are no compulsory modules in my final year, except the dissertation.

What do you do with your spare time, and what are your hobbies?

Currently in my spare time, I have so far worked multiple part time jobs, all of which were related to the University. In my first year I was a member of the Cheerleading Squad which was a new experience for me. As I am currently in my final year, unfortunately, my spare time is limited and therefore I only have time to do small and routine tasks such as going to the gym and taking part in the Nottingham Consultancy Challenge.  However, I was a member of many societies and utilised numerous volunteering opportunities in my first and second years.

What societies have you got involved with?

The ProBono Society, NEFS, the Cypriot Hellenic Society and the Cheerleading Society.

What is your experience of accommodation in Nottingham?

I have only lived off campus for all the years I have been in Nottingham. In my first year, I lived near the campus but in private accommodation. Even though my room was quite small, as you would expect with all accommodation options, I really enjoyed my time as I made many new friends, especially with people who I shared common areas with, such as the kitchen. In my second and third year, I moved to a two-person flat in the city centre. I felt I would be closer to anything I needed and I would only need to take a bus to University, which takes about 20 minutes depending on the traffic. I believe that the trade-off of extra travelling time in order to be closer to all that the city offers was a choice worth my time and it turned out quite well for me.

What have you learnt from being a student at the University of Nottingham?

That there are many opportunities to get involved in things outside of your course but you have to be curious enough to look for them and courageous enough to apply for them.

What are you planning to do next with your career?

I have applied for both masters courses and graduate schemes. I am still unsure which path I want to follow but I am considering both and I am planning to evaluate pros and cons as soon as I have all my offers and try to choose what is best for me. I am also considering staying in Nottingham for both of the options mentioned above as I have had a great time here so far and there are always new things and more opportunities to explore. If either of the options don’t work out, I am considering taking a gap year and gaining some work experience while travelling.

Posted in International Student AmbassadorsInternational Student callers