February 19, 2018, by International students

International Student Ambassador: Tiffany from Malaysia

Our International Student Ambassadors provide campus tours, telephone calls and social media for international students preparing to study at Nottingham. Tiffany is from Malaysia and is studying MA TESOL. Here are her thoughts on life at Nottingham.

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

The University of Nottingham has a picturesque learning environment, a vibrant scene of extra-curriculum activities and diverse student body from all over the world. It is also a perfect blend of campus university with a wide range of facilities and its close proximity to the Nottingham city centre.

I have also studied and graduated from the University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus during my undergraduate studies. I love its School of Education’s educational policies, course contents, practicum opportunities and wide networks. The School of Education is currently ranked 4th in the UK and 22nd worldwide in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017.

Did you receive a scholarship?

I have won the ASEAN Masters Scholarship. I applied for the scholarship through the online scholarship portal of University of Nottingham in March 2017 and I was granted the scholarship in August 2017. The ASEAN Masters Scholarship granted me a 25% towards my tuition fees. It has freed me of  financial constrains and my journey to the UK and my studies in the University of Nottingham have been marvellous. I am very grateful for the opportunity I was given and I strongly encourage everyone to apply for the wide range of scholarships that are available every year for the students of University of Nottingham.

What do you do with your spare time, and what are your hobbies?

Whenever I have some free time, I will write poetry and take photographs.

Poetry-writing is a form of expression and a therapeutic activity. I generally write about life experiences and my thoughts about them. It is always interesting to take mundane everyday routines and put a creative spin on them.

As for photography, I love to capture moments. There is something incredible about capturing the sunset, a friend’s mid-laugh, rain on the window, etc. Photographs essentially freeze these moments in time and create memories. “A picture is worth a thousand words”, it is true.

What societies have you got involved with?

I am currently involved in the Malaysian Night play, which is under the Nottingham Malaysian Society. I am the script writer as well as the secretary of the theatre production. The Malaysian Night play is an unique musical play with a combination of two tales; Robin Hood, a folklore which took place in Nottinghamshire and Ali Baba and 40 thieves, a tale which resonates with Malaysians. It aims to promote, showcase and introduce the Malaysian cultures on the international stage. Ultimately, it creates a space for all Malaysian students in the UK to come together and celebrate everything we call home.

What do you like about Nottingham as a city? 

Nottingham, for me, is a lively and diverse city. It is one of those cities which caters to everyone’s interests and needs. Oh you enjoy live music? Go to Rock City! Oh you are an art lover? Visit the National Contemporary!

It is wonderful city for shopping too. You can get everything that you will ever need, from high street fashion to luxurious brands, from new arrivals to ultra-cool vintage items. It is also a food paradise. You will be able to indulge in cuisines from all over the world and allow your taste buds to be intrigued!

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

My top tips for a new international student is as follows:

1. Apply to the course of your choice as early as possible to ensure a hassle-free application process!
  2. Get to know the University of Nottingham and the Nottingham city as much as possible before arriving. Don’t be afraid to ask!
  3. Explore and understand the cultures in the UK, in terms of everyday transactions, conversational discourse and ways of life.
  4. If you are a Malaysian, do pack as many authentic Malaysian food as you can stuff into your luggage!
  5. And lastly, be open-minded and be ready to learn!
Posted in International Student AmbassadorsInternational Student callersScholarships