February 15, 2018, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Nicola from Hong Kong

Our International Student Ambassadors provide campus tours, telephone calls and social media for international students preparing to study at Nottingham. Nicola is from Hong Kong and is studying BA International Media and Communications Studies. Here are her thoughts on life at Nottingham.

Why did you choose the University of Nottingham?

The reason why I have chosen to study in the University of Nottingham is firstly because of my friend who is also studying here. She shared lots of stories about her life here with me and it seemed to be a great place to pursue my study. I then went on to research more about the university, not only about courses they offer but also about future career paths and life in Nottingham. One great positive influence that reassured my decision is the campus environment. With all the mesmerising nature surrounding me, I am pretty sure it is a place where I want to be.

What is your favourite thing about the University of Nottingham?

Diversity of people!

Here in the University of Nottingham, you get to meet people from different cultural backgrounds all over the world. Not only people within your course but also through joining societies or working as part-time, there are many opportunities to expand your network with others.

What is the best thing about your course?

The best thing about my course is how we basically integrate our daily life into academic studies. The course encourages us to explore things happening around us through many different perspectives and there is never a right or wrong answer to it. As my study progresses, I have gained more confidence to construct and voice out my own opinion. It is also compulsory for me to do a foreign language and I do enjoy my Japanese class a lot.

What do you like about Nottingham as a city?

Nottingham is a small yet vibrant city. Within the area, you can find the natural/historical side and also the busy/modern side. With the excellent transport links, it is never too far to travel around the city. Another thing I like about Nottingham is the variety of restaurants here. There are times when I miss home food so much but I don’t feel like cooking it, I will then ask my friends out to eat, trying out different restaurants as well.

What is your experience of accommodation in Nottingham?

I am currently living in an ensuite studio in Broadgate Park. Although it might not be as close to school as living on campus, yet, the site is actually just across the road from the university. You get meet different people living around and a chance to be independent at the same time. I tend to cook by myself almost everyday because I just miss home food so much. It is also very convenient living in Broadgate because it has many amenities of its own. The shop located on site has become a choice for snacks, especially during study period.

What would be your top tips for a new international student starting at the University of Nottingham in their first year?

Be confident, be yourself and just enjoy!

As an international student myself, I understand that some might feel difficult to blend into a completely new environment but need not to worry, everyone here is nice and willing to accept who you are. Don’t limit yourself because there are always things waiting for you to discover out of your course. Plenty of societies allow you develop or discover your interest and make new friends.

Posted in International Student AmbassadorsInternational Student callers