April 29, 2016, by International students

Meet our Student Callers: Nimal from India

Nimal suit 600x600

If you hold an offer to study at The University of Nottingham, you might be lucky enough to receive a call from one of our international students. Nimal has been speaking to Indian students (and their parents!) to let them know what Nottingham is really like.

Why did you choose to study at Nottingham?

Frankly, it was the availability of good funding opportunities that brought my attention initially towards The University of Nottingham. On further research, I developed a genuine interest towards the University owing to its international ranking, multicultural student community and its research focus in my interested area. The University has excellent collaboration with industries and their research work is world-leading, ticking all the boxes I was interested in. Ultimately, securing a fully funded scholarship made UoN a natural choice for me.

What is your favourite thing about living in Nottingham?

Tram 600x600

My daily commute to the University in the tram. Travelling in a tram gives a unique feeling unlike any other transport mode. Slowly bustling through the roads of Nottingham viewing the picturesque stone building at Old Market Square to the greenery in Forest Fields, a seat near the window is something that I would never miss on a ride.

Where is your favourite place in Nottingham, and why?

Nimal 600x500

Uni Park lake 600x400

I love bodies of water and fortunately the University has lakes in both the campuses. Every so often, I find myself sitting on the chairs around the huge lake in the University Park Campus chilling out with the ducks after my lectures (great companions you see!). Also, I don’t miss the one in Jubilee Campus whenever I visit the International Office.

Where is your favourite place to eat out in Nottingham, and why?

Singh’s Restaurant in the City centre. With a superb service and the lovely ambience of a traditional Indian restaurant, it serves some of the trademark dishes from various states of the Indian subcontinent with a Punjabi twist. A restaurant that I visit occasionally to have the delicious home food.

Are you part of any societies?

I am an Executive at the Students’ Union Postgraduate Committee where we conduct events exclusively for the postgraduate students who often have different requirements from that of the undergraduates, be it in terms of socialising or career aspirations. From catching up with friends in Winter Ball during the Christmas break to our upcoming Link ’16, a student-led Interdisciplinary Research Conference, the committee has given me the opportunity to be part of a cause that I enjoy working on besides academics.

What’s the most frequently asked question students ask you, and what advice do you give them?

What are the scholarship opportunities available at the University and how to apply for them? The University has a vast portfolio of scholarships (even fully funded!) unlike most universities in the United Kingdom. Having won the fully funded Developing Solutions Masters Scholarship myself, I offer them some tips about the best way of displaying skills, motivation and career aspirations given the highly competitive nature of the scholarships. On occasions I happen to speak to parents and they ask about the security and study atmosphere in the university for which I describe the facilities and campuses in detail.

What’s your number one tip for international/EU students coming to Nottingham?

For those staying in self-catered halls and private accommodation, learn to cook while coming to the University as eating outside may not be an economical and healthy option. The city of Nottingham is multi-cultural and big enough so that you can expect to get everything you get back home. Also, you can experience the ambience of Nottingham only in Nottingham. Be open to the diversity, enjoy it to the maximum and take every experience as a part of learning curve for life.

What are you hoping to do after you graduate/finish your course?

I’m planning to further my research on composite materials through PhD and wish to take up a research oriented career in the aerospace sector.

Posted in AcademicAccommodationCareersCelebrationsCultural integrationFoodInternational Student callersNottingham cityScholarshipsSocieties