January 29, 2016, by International students

Meet our Student Callers: Frida from Indonesia

Frida enjoying the snow at our Jubilee Campus

If you hold an offer to study at The University of Nottingham, you might be lucky enough to receive a call from one of our international students. Indonesian student Frida is in her final year of an undergraduate degree in Biology.

Why did you choose to study at Nottingham?

I’m lucky enough to have a brother that’s also studying at The University of Nottingham. From the stories he told me, this University seemed like such a great place to be. And he wasn’t wrong! This is one of the biggest reasons as to why I’ve chosen Nottingham, but to make sure that it would be a good fit for me as much as it was for him, I researched about the University extensively. I quickly realised that there’s more to the University than just a fun place to be. It’s got great career prospects, as it is one of the targets for top graduate recruiters, and also amazing careers services which will be there for you for life. That was when I realised that this would be the perfect university for me.

What is your favourite thing about living in Nottingham?

The fact you’ve got everything you need from a big city, all compacted in the city centre. Shopping brands are right next to each other, which makes shopping a lot easier. I also love the warmth of locals. Nottingham isn’t as busy as the bigger cities, so you actually get to build relationships with people around you, which I personally like.

Where is your favourite place in Nottingham, and why?

I would say the University Park. It’s such a beautiful campus with so much character. Even after 3 years, I still haven’t explored every bit of the campus, so it never seems to bore me.

Where is your favourite place to eat out in Nottingham, and why?

At the moment, it would be Cosmos near Victoria Centre. It has food from all parts of the world, from Chinese, to Indian, to Japanese. And the best thing about it is perhaps that it’s a buffet, so you get to eat as much as you like without dreading the bill.

Are you part of any societies?

Dance society 600x400

I’m part of the Dance Society, where I attend the practice sessions every Wednesday. I am also a part of the Biology Society, which holds events every so often.

What’s the most frequently asked question students ask you, and what advice do you give them?

Most students ask me if there would be support for them to improve their English skills. Indonesia isn’t a country where English is used on a daily basis, so I understand that some students are anxious about coming to a country where they would need to constantly speak in English. I would say the best way to improve is to keep practicing, you’ll be surprised how much faster you get better by practicing what you’ve learnt.

What’s your number one tip for international/EU students coming to Nottingham?

I’d say to make the best of your time here, as time flies really quickly. Before you know it, you’ll be graduating and moving on to a different chapter in life, so make sure that you try out the things that you want to try, and do the things you want to.

Posted in AcademicCareersCultural integrationFoodFriendsInternational Student callersNottingham citySocieties