A student profile image of David (physiotherapy)

April 28, 2020, by sleatherland

Student profile – David’s experience of studying physiotherapy

Last summer we caught up with David who was graduating in BSc Physiotherapy at the University of Nottingham. Here’s his reflection on his time as a student with us…

Why did I choose to study physiotherapy at Nottingham?

I applied due to the department’s reputation for academic and clinical excellence. However, it was after visiting the department that I felt that the environment of the department suited me. I felt at home.

What do I enjoy most about my course?

The whole course is fun, challenging but fun! However, two things stand out on reflection.

Placements are hard work but it is so rewarding to be able to make a difference in a person’s life. I have fond memories of placement working in learning disabilities. Also, I enjoyed working with my fellow students and lecturers on the journey of becoming a physiotherapist. The department has a helpful culture whereby students are treated like colleagues and this results in us as students becoming our best selves but we are also well supported on that journey.

Any challenges?

The pace of the course is fast and you have to combine academic work in year 2 and year 3 with clinical placements. However, it is achievable and you are well supported. In particular, you are well supported on placements as you have visits from Clinical Link Tutors at the halfway point and at the end of the placement to support you pastorally.

What extra-curricular activities have I been involved with?

I have been very busy as a student, especially in the profession. I was selected to a national leadership programme, (Council of Deans Student Leadership Programme). This resulted in training, mentorship and ultimately leading a team to put on a conference to bring the idea of leadership to healthcare students. This has also resulted in some policy work with the Office for Students and the Reforming MSK think tank.

I have also been very active in the Charted Society of Physiotherapy. I was selected for a 4-year position on the Professional committee which provides expertise and insight on significant physiotherapy practice, learning and development issues. In the university, I was a course representative and a welfare representative.

Posted in PhysiotherapyStudent lifeStudent profiles