A student midwife holding a doll

March 26, 2020, by sleatherland

Student Nursing Times Awards 2020 – meet our midwifery nominees!

Congratulations to our staff and students in the School of Health Sciences who have been
shortlisted in this year’s Student Nursing Times Awards!

We caught up with our nominees Beatrice and Hannah (both are final year students on our
BSc Midwifery programme) to find out more about how they feel to be shortlisted.

They are both shortlisted for Student Midwife of the Year. Beatrice is also nominated for Outstanding Contribution to Student Affairs.

A profile image of Beatrice Bennett

Beatrice Bennett

How do you feel about being nominated and what does it mean to you? 

Beatrice: It means so much to have been nominated, I am so grateful of those members of staff who nominated and supported me. I never expected to be shortlisted, but it is such a privilege to have been recognised for the contributions I have made.

A profile image of Hannah Slack

Hannah Slack

Hannah: When I first found out I had been shortlisted for Student Midwife of the Year, I was completely in shock. It took a couple days for it to properly sink in and I was obviously over the moon. I remember wanting to tell everyone, but forcing myself to wait until the official shortlist was published by the Nursing Times themselves first. When you go into a career in the National Health Service, you never expect recognition, but it feels amazing to have the hard work acknowledged. I put my heart and soul into everything I do and it makes it even more worth the sacrifices.

What are you most looking forward to about the ceremony?

Beatrice: I am looking forward to meeting all of the other amazing students who have been shortlisted for the awards, and supporting the other UoN students who have been shortlisted and celebrating our achievements together.

Hannah: It sounds like a fantastic event. I cannot wait to see all the other nominations because I am sure they are all so worthy of the awards. I am really excited to find out the winners of all the awards and of course, I am eagerly anticipating finding out who the presenter of the ceremony is! It all sounds very elaborate. I know everyone is working hard at the Nursing Times headquarters to make it special, especially with it being the World Health Organisation’s 2020 Year of the Nurse and Midwife.

What could this award mean for your future career?

Beatrice: Recognition for my contribution to both midwifery and student affairs would further my determination and courage to continue developing in my role as a midwife, post qualification, to advocate for better care for women and families, and also support for both staff and students in the work place.

Hannah: Honestly, it would mean the world to me to win. It has been an honour to be nominated and shortlisted but to win would be very special. It will hopefully help me to reach my goals by standing out from the crowd. Mostly, I think it will give me an incredible confidence boost and encourage me to continue to push myself, whilst also allowing me to reflect and say: “I can do hard things, look at what I have achieved already.” Even without winning, I think it will have been a great experience and it has already allowed me to reflect upon my course so far, plus it has given me great experiences to build upon in the future.

What’s been your favourite part of your course?

Hannah: This is such a hard question because ultimately, I have loved each and every aspect for different reasons. One of my standout moments however, was catching my first pool birth with a physiological management of the third stage. It was the most beautifully perfect birth and it is the only time I have cried in practice. I had to quickly wipe a couple of tears away! Women blow me away every day at work and I will forever be in awe of their power and strength.

Many thanks to Beatrice and Hannah for your answers. The winners of Student Nursing Times Awards 2020 will be announced in November 2020. Best of look to all our nominees!

Posted in MidwiferyStudent lifeStudent Nursing Times Awards