May 3, 2013, by Ayush Poddar

Celebrating Holi in China

Hello everybody!!

I know it’s been a while since I last wrote but here I come with Holi celebrations in China.

C2

Holi is spring festival celebrated as a festival of colours. It used to a be religious festival of Hindus, but in the last few years it has become popular with other communities and regions as a fun festive day. Every year, thousands of Hindus participate in the festival Holi. The festival has many purposes. First and foremost, it celebrates the beginning of the new season, spring. Originally, it was a festival that commemorated a good harvest and the fertile land. Hindus believe it is a time of enjoying spring’s abundant colours and saying farewell to winter. It also has a religious purpose, commemorating events present in Hinduism. During this event, participants hold a bonfire, throw coloured powder at each other, and celebrate.

Staying in China I didn’t feel home-sick as even in China you could celebrate Holi widely with an Indian as well as an international crowd. On this day the Indian community in Ningbo and also people from the city get together and celebrate the festival of colours at the Indian Restaurant Ganesha with colours and authentic Indian food. Before being a part of this event I thought there would only be the Indian community but I soon saw more international people from all over the world getting united and playing with colours. It cheered me up and made me feel at home.

Check out the video: https://vimeo.com/64435460

Stay awesome!!

See you in a few days…

C3

Posted in Ningbo