January 10, 2014, by Malvika Johal

Make this the year…

As 2014 gets underway, and everyone makes their new year’s resolutions, I got to thinking about what I wanted to achieve this year; one of the things on my list is to make more time to see old friends. We keep in touch through Facebook etc… and nearly all of our communication ends with; “let’s get a date in the diary soon” but this never actually seems to materialise and before I know it the cycle starts all over again.
This led me onto the thinking about the number of amazing reunions we have at the University, with people getting together after 50 years in some cases. Some of these reunions are organised by the Alumni Relations team and others by our alumni themselves. 2013 was a very popular year for alumni to come back to campus as we hosted reunions for halls; year groups; and subject specific cohorts.

class of 1963 Summer reunion The Class of 1963 were reunited in the summer as they celebrated 50 years since graduating with private meal at the new Orchard Hotel, they hired the executive lounge for pre-dinner drinks and by all accounts they all had a fantastic evening.

Class of 1973 Production Eng reunion The Class of 1973 Production Engineering enjoyed tours of University Park and Jubilee campuses followed by afternoon tea, before they headed into the city for an evening meal. All Production Engineering graduates are also invited to help Professor Heginbotham celebrate his 90th Birthday on 11 April 2014.

The Class of 1967 Theology came together to enjoy tours of the campus and a delicious lunch in the Council Dining Room in February.

Maths Post - Grad  1972 reunion
Maths Post Grads from the class of 1972 enjoyed a tour of the new maths building and caught up with old friends during the summer.

The class of 1960 Chemistry held a reunion at Cripps Hall at the end of summer and enjoyed a reunion weekend and formal dinner.

The class of 1993 medics who hold a reunion every five years got together at the Belfry hotel for an evening dinner and dance, with over 80 alumni attending.

Medics reunion class of 1993

The NURFC held their annual dinner in March, along with the Hockey club who tagged their reunion onto the Alumni Sports Challenge weekend.

The Class of 1993 celebrated 25 years graduating with a reunion linked to May Fest, the annual University community day which is taking place this year on May 10 2014. Class of 1993 reunion

I am sure there are many others who hosted reunions last year, please send me any pictures and information if you organised a reunion.  I hope 2014 will be just as popular with those reaching milestones since they graduated or simply wanted an excuse for a great get together and a party!

If you would like help in organising a reunion for your year group please do not hesitate to contact me at Malvika.johal@nottingham.ac.uk.

Posted in Alumni Events