June 6, 2016, by Words on Words

I know what you did last summer…

This blog post was written by final year English and Philosophy student, Rishi Davda.

As much as it pains me to say it, the years at university go by way too fast. From running around the freshers’ fair for free pizza to panicking in Hallward come mid-May, the ups and downs seem to speed past at an increasing rate each year. As a result, that mammoth 3 month summer seems to come around in the blink of an eye. I’m just about to finish university, and so this coming summer will most likely be filled with a career crisis and me weighing up the positives and negatives of working for my dad. However, there are a few important bits of advice and information for those of you who like me worry a little bit every summer about the lack of ‘stuff’ you are doing. Regardless of your year, I think these tips will prove helpful in some way, and help to provide some clarity for a festival- and Pimms-filled summer.

Tip 1: Do Something (simple as that!)

In all seriousness, three months is a long time. Doing something will not mean that you are forgoing your ‘much-needed’ chill time after your ‘stressful’ year at university. From waiting tables, to doing an internship, to travelling around the world – all these experiences will enrich you as a person in some way. Work place experience, corporate exposure, or an appreciation for global perspectives are all valuable summer-gained skills and, whilst possibly shaping your future career, they will for sure keep you off the sofa watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians from the beginning. Trust me…it’s not worth it!

Tip 2: Don’t stress!

Okay, so you really want to do an internship at Goldman Sachs and that is all you want to do. Unfortunately, you don’t get it. That means it is time to pull your hair out, live in a dark room, and get a questionable tattoo. INCORRECT! Don’t let your summer adventures be dictated by one specific job or opportunity. There are loads of different things you can do and if Plan A doesn’t work, there are still 25 more letters to work your way through. Don’t approach your summer as a rigid schedule; give yourself some freedom and find something you want to do and that will benefit you in the long term. Someone closing a door to you should just act as incentive to go and find more doors to open.

Tip 3: Do get a bit of rest!

I know I’ve said to make sure you do something and this is very true, but you do need to remember it is a holiday. Don’t work 12 hours a day for 12 weeks continuously and then come back to uni and get straight into lectures. I know we are young, but we still need some rest. Work, recuperate, and relax. Then come back to uni with more on your CV, more energy, and your summer reading list completed (kidding!!).

ENJOY THE SUMMER…even if the weather would have you believe it is winter!

Beach in summer

Photo by Jeremy Tarling (featured image cropped) / CC BY-SA 2.0

Rishi Davda

Posted in Student Words