April 25, 2019, by International students

International Student Ambassadors: Arooj from Pakistan

I am Arooj Akbar, former student at the University of Nottingham. I am from Lahore, Pakistan and started my MSc at the University of Nottingham in 2016. I graduated in December 2017 and left Nottingham in January 2018; I have many cherished memories that I made during my time there.

Describe your experience of studying at the University of Nottingham

My MSc was in Power Electronics and Drives a specialized degree within Electrical Engineering. The Power Electronics, Machines and Control Group at UoN is one of the most renowned in its domain and a stand out in terms of its research and faculty. I had the privilege to attend lectures delivered by experts in the field and had the unique opportunity to work with the Aerospace Technology Center at UoN for my MSc Thesis. Under the valuable supervision of Serhiy Bozhko, I worked on an innovative design for a starter/generator system for futuristic ‘More Electric Aircrafts’, an innovative research project at UoN.

How did your masters prepare you for life after graduation?

The University has played its part in refining my personality and individuality. It prepared me as an academic and as a person ready to take on new career challenges with increased confidence and vigor. I am now a Doctoral Assistant at EPFL, Switzerland and working on international level projects. I feel an immense sense of gratitude towards the University for nudging me in the right direction and helping me to achieve an amazing role.

If you were awarded a scholarship, please give details of the scholarship

I was lucky to be awarded the ‘Developing Solutions Scholarship’ by the University which allowed me to pursue my MSc without worrying about the cost.

Tell us about your experiences of Nottingham

While exposure to profound knowledge remained an integral part of my University of Nottingham journey it was not the only experience UoN had to offer. Somewhere in those lecture halls, corridors and sunny day walks on the beautiful campus I found some precious companions. Nottingham was a journey full of special encounters, meeting new people and learning from not just lectures but from the marvelous diversity that is the student body. The University has played its part in refining my personality and individuality. It prepared me as an academic and as a person ready to take on new career challenges with increased confidence and vigour.

Nottingham is a great city to be in and it is a place that will always hold a special place in my heart. The city has the hustle and bustle of a big city while still offering the quaintness and peace of a small town. From watching the city bloom in spring to watching the fairy lights on the city centre Christmas tree twinkle ahead of Christmas, Nottingham will steal your heart with every blooming flower and every twinkling Christmas light. It certainly stole mine!

If you have any questions about studying at the University of Nottingham as an international student, you can get in touch with our International Ambassadors via email.

Posted in International Student Ambassadors