Highfields House Walled Garden

January 25, 2016, by Words on Words

Five Places on Campus to Read with a View

This blog post was written by final year American Studies and English student, Radhika Chond, from the School of Cultures, Languages and Area Studies.

Hiya everyone, welcome back from your Christmas Break! Now as the January chill starts to set in and frost lingers in the air, hinting snow but demanding coffee to keep warm, the thought of sitting outdoors reading does not seem inviting.

However, these spots on campus are a few of my favourite places to sink into a good book, or that impending Dissertation reading list, so wrap up, snuggle up, and sink in! Plus, after the stress of deadlines a burst of fresh air and a pretty view will definitely blow the cobwebs away, restoring you anew!

1] Trent Café

What isn’t there to love in this cosy café? There’s coffee, chatter, warmth, and wonderfully wide windows that allow you to curl up in your fantasy world whilst looking out on the Uni Lake!

Trent Building Cafe

Trent Building Cafe

2] Portland Hill

Yes, this is the very hill that looks down on the East Drive bus stops –  it may not sound particularly inspiring, but once you’re sat there, oh my! Truly one of my favourite outdoor spots to unwind on campus and I can always dash down the hill if I ever need the bus! If you sit high enough you can unwind in the Botanical Garden and look out on the sprawling scene of Nottingham, whilst breathing in the crisp winter air. It’s a wonderful spot, trust me.

The Botanical Garden at the top of Portland Hill

3] The Florence Boot Garden, the Highfields Walled Garden, and the Hugh Stewart Hall Rock Garden

All beautiful expanses of enclosed greenery that are set back from the hustle of university life, providing you with the ideal spot to hide away and be a recluse amongst nature. See if you can find them all!

Highfields House Walled Garden

Highfields House Walled Garden

Hugh Stewart Rock Garden

Hugh Stewart Rock Garden

4] Jekyll & Hyde Garden

If you’ve stumbled across this absolutely magical garden you know how wonderful it is to read in such quaintness. It is the perfect spot to take your picnic, gloves, and your favourite fantasy novel; as you sit amongst the floral arrangements,  it could easily pass for an enchanted house with grassy mazes.

The Jekyll Garden

The Jekyll Garden

Lenton Hurst House at the Jekyll Garden

Lenton Hurst House at the Jekyll Garden

5] Jubilee Park’s grassy banks

Venture over to Jubilee and sit in the midst of the lake upon the grassy podiums. There’s even benches to sit on in the middle, surrounded by water: how very tranquil 🙂 Just mind the many geese and ducks that swim in the water, it’s invariably their territory over ours…

The lake at Jubilee Campus

The lake at Jubilee Campus

…Now where did I place my copy of Robert Frost and my cappuccino…?

Let me know if there are other places on campus that you love to read in!

[Featured images owned by author and The University of Nottingham]

Posted in Student Words