September 16, 2013, by Jon Sheldon

On Road Back East

Studying at UNMC has provided me with many great and exotic travel opportunities to places which I could only dream of visiting before.  During my time here I intend to make the most of it.  In my first year not only did I have the opportunity to travel around Malaysia but I have also been able to visit some other nearby countries.

Just after the May exams, I spent my last few days in Malaysia on the tropical island of Pangkor chilling on the beach, playing in the waves and eating delicious home cooked Malay food with my close friends before we all headed home for the summer holidays.  It truly was the ultimate way to wind down after exam stress.

Pangkor from mainland

Pangkor from mainland

During my time at UNMC I have made friends from all over the world who have gladly offered to be my tour guide in their home countries.  This time it was the turn of my good friend Furqan. Located in the Middle East, he is conveniently between my home in the UK and Malaysia; perfect for a week’s stopover to have a holiday before returning to university, a taste of Arabia and most importantly meeting camels for the very first time.

Dubai.  A city built by oil.  Shouting its wealth to the world through its record breaking engineering masterpieces.  Many major cities around the world have a few records to their name.  Dubai however, has more than its fair share.  Here are some of the most impressive.

The Burj Kalifa

The Burj Kalifa

Dubai’s Record list:

Burj Kalifa – The World’s Tallest Building

Burj Al Arab – The World’s Only Seven Star Hotel

Dubai Metro – The World’s Longest Fully Automated Metro Network

Princess Tower – The World’s Tallest Residential Building

JW Marriott Marquis – The World’s Tallest Hotel

Ski Dubai – The World’s Largest Indoor Ski Resort

The Dubai Fountain – The World’s Largest Choreographed Fountain

Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo – The World’s Largest Single Acrylic Panel

Ok, an acrylic panel doesn’t really sound that exciting however large so I wanted to show you this one.  It’s one of the viewing screens of the aquarium housing sharks, rays and many other fish.  Sound a bit cooler now?

Ok, an acrylic panel doesn’t really sound that exciting however large so I wanted to show you this one. It’s one of the viewing screens of the aquarium housing sharks, rays and many other fish. Sound a bit cooler now?

Snow!  After having missed last winter entirely with having spent it in Malaysia, it had been quite some time since I’d seen snow.  Yes, I’m still in Dubai, in fact I spent the afternoon at Ski Dubai, a winter wonderland located in one of the city’s many shopping malls.  Riding toboggans, inflatable rings, and zorb balls down icy slopes at -3⁰C truly was a contrast to the previous afternoon’s desert safari in the outdoor heat.  We rode over the sand dunes in a 4×4 out to a camp in the desert to spend the evening dining to Arabian music and dances.  I even got to meet a friendly camel.

My time spent in Dubai had many highlights and it was a lovely feeling to be abroad again. If I had to choose a favorite moment it would be the dune bashing on the desert safari.  It’s something I would recommend to anyone visiting Dubai.  I was lucky enough to be in the front seat so I could get some footage.  Just in case you’re wondering, the feminine screams in the background are that of a group of Russian girls, not mine.  The shaky camera work however, I take full responsibility for.

Next stop Malaysia. I can’t wait!

Posted in Jon