picture of University of nottingham trent building on a cloudy day

September 21, 2020, by Jayda

What to Expect during your First Few Weeks of University

Your first few weeks of University are going to be a lot to handle. Probably for the first time in your life you’ll be totally independent which can at first seem liberating, no parents or carers to tell you what you what to do – total freedom. However total freedom can also be a bit lonesome. These feeling of loneliness coupled with the madness that is freshers week, living with strangers, and starting your degree can make the first few weeks of university feel overwhelming. So, read on to find out what to expect during your first weeks of University to avoid getting too overwhelmed, and make the most of this exciting time.

Expect to get lost

University of Nottingham is a big campus. There are many buildings with multiple floors and entry points that can make finding your lectures and seminars challenging to say the least. If you’re like me, then it’s going to take the whole of first semester to get your bearings. So don’t worry if you are struggling to find your way round during the first few weeks.

I find it helps to know the location of one or two buildings and then use the university of Nottingham map to find other places in relation to the locations of the buildings you’re already familiar with.

Expect to meet a lot of people

I know this seems obvious and you’ve heard it before, but I feel it’s important to state again. One of the most overwhelming aspects of the first few weeks of university for me was the amount of new people I was constantly meeting. On the one hand it was exciting, after spending 7 years with the same high school people it’s great meeting new people and making new friends. But it was also difficult which I wasn’t expecting. Although everyone tells you to make the most of this time by meeting new people, don’t be afraid to take some time for yourself and speak to friends/family from home if you’re finding being in a new space tough.

Expect not to make close friends right away

Like I said above, you’ll be meeting a lot of new people during the first few weeks of university. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll meet your best friends during freshers and they will become your university friendship group. That might happen, and if it does great! But if you don’t find your people in the first few weeks of university that’s fine too.

One of the things I remember hearing a lot about starting university was how many friends you make and how quickly these friendships form, but that isn’t everybody’s experience. You’re not failing or doing the first few weeks of university wrong if you don’t find your BFFs immediately.

Though I’ve shared what I wish I’d known to expect from the first few weeks of university to avoid feeling out of my depth, I’m sure you’ll still find this time very overwhelming. All I can say is that the first few weeks of university are scary for everyone, there’s no “right or wrong” university experience, just try to have fun!

Posted in Jayda