March 26, 2020, by Valentina

Top Tips for Online Learning

Switching to online learning is new for a lot of us – and as all new things, it can be incredibly hard when you’ve never done it before.

At least for me, it’s been weird; I’ve realised that being on campus and physically attending sessions gives me a sense of differentiation between rest and study and ultimately, helps me get things done. When the lines between uni and home blur, it can lead to a lot of frustration…so how can we maintain a healthy work-life balance during this period?

Stick to a Schedule

Waking up at a set time, physically getting ready and planning your day around the online sessions you need to attend may be key to ensuring that, a) you actually end up turning up to them, b) you have enough time to both work hard and unwind.

When you’re at home all day, it’s easy for hours and days to meld together – it’s a perfect environment for procrastination to thrive. Personally, I need a schedule to add some structure to my days. For some, this might not be necessary – but if you’re struggling, planning ahead may be a good place to start.

Find a Learning Spot

I know how tempting it is to stay in bed and work from under the covers. But, the few times I’ve tried, I’ve either ended up falling asleep or getting completely distracted by Netflix.

It’s important to me to separate spaces where I rest from those where I work; finding a corner of the house specifically designated for study has been highly effective for me. Whenever I’m in my study space my mindset switches from rest mode to work mode – and productivity happens!

Whether it’s a desk, the dining room table or a corner on the couch – I highly recommend finding yourself a learning spot.

Get Some Training

The university is offering training for students on Microsoft teams, the platform that a number of us will be studying through. If you’d like more information you can find it on this article.

Attend…and Engage!

When you don’t have to physically show up somewhere it can be easy to miss things. Or some of us might find it easier to actually turn up when it’s all just a click away!

The important thing is attending – even when it’s something you have to adapt to a little. Even just listening in is beneficial sometimes.

Engagement, of course, is ideal. Don’t be scared to speak up or type away your queries! Your seminar tutors will appreciate this and so will your peers.

When faced with something new, it’s all about finding what works for you!

Posted in Valentina