November 1, 2019, by Issy
Things to do… which aren’t in Nottingham
Recently I had my brother up from London to stay with me and we found that we wanted to do something that was a bit… different. So, in looking up things to do in Nottingham, we found that there are some pretty cool places within an hour’s travel which are great for a day trip!
Leicester – 30 mins train from Nottingham Station
- Sports clubs
- Leicester has a great sporting scene: catch a premier-league winning Leicester City match, or go support the Leicester Tigers rugby team for some intense clashes if you haven’t had enough of the Rugby World Cup recently.
- Space museum
- If you have younger siblings destined to be astronauts, or an aerospace engineering/physics/astronomy student in your life, this is the place to go. There’s a planetarium, rockets and even some genuine moon rock to see.
Sheffield – 50m from Nottingham Station
- Paternoster lift
- If you go to the arts tower at the University of Sheffield, there is a rare Paternoster lift, which, translates from Latin as ‘our father’ – supposedly who one might pray to when you miss your floor and have to go up and over the top of the lift shaft to go back down the other side! Not my thing, but might be someone’s cup of tea..?
- Peak District
- Sheffield is on the doorstep of the Peak District National Park – a must for a spot of tranquillity amongst the bustle of student life. In the middle of exam students you can be sure to cross paths with other students taking an extended revision break!
Lincoln – 48m from Nottingham Station
- Lincoln has a huge cathedral which can be seen from miles around, and combined with the cobbled streets up the hill lined with independent shops, is an impressive day out.
Closer to Home
Long Eaton – Skylink/ Indigo buses, 25m
- Market every Saturday
- Brownies, cakes, crafts, cheese… what more could you want? You can find yourself a unique treasure spending some time mooching around these stalls.
- Canal towpath walks
- The Erewash canal runs through Long Eaton and down through the countryside to Trent Lock where there is a rowing club, a sailing club, and a couple of country pubs. Particularly beautiful at sunset.
Attenborough – Skylink bus or 10m train from Nottingham Station
- Nature reserve
- This is the place to go for your daily dose of peace and nature, only 15 mins from Nottingham by bus.
- Sailing club
- There is a busy sailing club near the nature reserve – watch the races, or sit and enjoy the sight of the boats gliding across the lake as the day goes by.
Ruddington – NCT 10/10C buses
- There’s an actual steam railway. That you can ride on. Enough said.
Holme Pierrepont Country Park – Mainline bus
- Race course
- There are often high-profile rowing or canoeing events at this lake. Time it right and you might get to watch an Olympian do their thing!
- White water course
- Have a go at navigating this adrenaline-fuelling course! Warning: you will get absolutely drenched.
This is by no means an exhaustive list – I would really recommend buying a ticket to a random place and see what you can discover!
No comments yet, fill out a comment to be the first