March 6, 2019, by Lucy

Ways to Keep Fit from a Self-Confessed Fit-Phobe

I’ve talked about it before, and I’ll probably talk about it again, but I exercise now. Yes, that’s right, I actively put on a pair of trainers and break a sweat. As someone who previously hadn’t exercised since year 11 PE lessons, this is a breakthrough in my way of life, improving my wellbeing on both a physical and mental basis. Although Lent is a time in which people intend on giving something up, usually along the lines of sugar, carbs or fats, a promise that usually lasts a week or, in my case, two hours. Consequently, instead of giving things up, perhaps it would be better to take things up. Since vices are usually health-related, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity for me to discuss how taking up exercise is easy, and the health benefits immense. Besides, if I can do it, anyone can.

10,000 Steps a Day Challenge

I don’t know where this idea of walking 10,000 steps a day came from but people have been yapping on about it for years now. As a stubborn person, I initially resisted the trend of getting a fitness tracker – I mean, how hard was it to walk 10,000 steps anyway?? Then, at Christmas, after years of resistance, I caved and got one, and boy was I wrong… 10,000 steps is a lot.

When Nottingham’s transport system is a good as it is, getting the bus everywhere is more than tempting. Why would you walk all the way to town or to uni when the bus can drop you off 5 metres away from the Victoria centre or your lecture theatre? However, walking this distance, or even part of it, is more appealing than you think: you can use this time to reflect and get your mind in gear (me time, if you were); putting on a groovy playlist or podcast will make time fly; or, if anything else, it will allow you to be at one with *nature*.

So, get on your walking boots (read: regular shoes) at let your feet be your guide. When the sun is shining on your back and the fresh air is invigorating your mind, you’ll be hitting the 10,000 step mark in no time.

The Active Trail

You’ve probably seen boards for this around campus, but have you ever dared to complete one? The Active Trail is a 1.7 mile track around University Park Campus, composed of five different outside gym areas. The trail is designed to allow users to engage in callisthenic exercises, targeting upper, lower and core body areas. Indeed, all areas of your body will be given a workout, meaning that exercise needn’t come at a cost. Brave the downcast weather and give it a go!

Engage

For those who don’t want to commit to sport, the Engage Programme is perfect. Designed to widen the sporting opportunities available to students, Engage holds weekly sessions in over 25 different sports, enabling everyone to get a taste of pretty much any sport going. As no sports membership is required, the programme is easily accessible, giving you the ability to really find your sporting prowess. No matter your level or familiarity, Engage is all about inclusivity and having fun. From holding girls’ nights in to badminton tournaments and inclusive sports days, there really is something for everyone. The programme understands that fitness is intimidating and overwhelming and effectively ensures that they tackle this issue.

‘Find your active. Find your balance’.

Join a society

Joining a sports club or society doesn’t require you to be the next David Beckham or Kelly Holmes. Although the clubs do enable members to represent the university at a national and international level, they also offer beginner and social sessions. Likewise, being active in terms of joining a club or society needn’t be explicitly active. For instance, Hide and Soc offers the chance for you to unleash your inner child and partake in infamous playground games, just thing of Tag or Stuck in the Mud. So, whether you want to channel your inner Olympian or whether you want to regress back to your seven year old self, societies at Nottingham offer you the ability to get your fitness levels up, whilst socialising in the process.

*Side Note

If all else fails, take a visit to the top floor of T&L or even walk up Portland Hill if you’re feeling brave, your heart will be pounding and you’ll feel as if you’ve just walked Everest.

Posted in Lucy