February 12, 2019, by Shweta

How to find motivation when you need it the most

With exams come and gone and the unfortunate winter chill still lingering, it can be very hard to find the motivation to stay on top of your academics, hobbies and social life. If you follow my blog, you might have noticed that I, myself, have been rather unmotivated lately, which led to reduced scheduled posting. Most mornings, I found it hard to even get out of bed, let alone make it to lectures or my work shifts. However, I’m back and with tips on how to beat the January blues.

For starters, remind yourself it’s a new year. Often, people find this cumbersome and you’ll always have a couple friends groaning about the uncertainty of time. Regardless, I’ve always found it to be extremely helpful to remind myself that it’s a WHOLE NEW YEAR. That means, you still have 10 months left to make this year exactly what you want it to be. If you think about how far you’ve come in the last year, it will only motivate you to go even further this year; and that is only possible if you work hard every day. If 2018 didn’t go too well for you, take this time to re-group your thoughts and make 2019 your year!

Secondly, have a routine. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a BIG fan of spontaneity. Despite that, I find that having a basic routine every day maintains physical and mental stability while ensuring maximum productivity. For example, if you’re a morning person, try waking up at 7am to exercise and have a wholesome breakfast in bed. I also find making ‘to-do’ lists extremely helpful. However, remember to be forgiving of yourself for not always completing the list.

Thirdly, take some time off. I have no doubt that everyone thoroughly enjoyed their winter break. I also have no doubt that the exam period that followed was probably not as exciting. Remember to take some time off, once or twice a week, and allow yourself to relax. One of the things that most positively impacted my mental health was realising that self-care didn’t have to be conditional. Take long, hot showers before going to bed, or, go on a long walk with no-one but your favourite singers on Spotify.

Finally, remember that motivation and confidence go together. It’s much easier said than done but do your absolute best to remember that if you’ve made it so far, you can make it to the end!

Until next time,

Shweta

Posted in Shweta