December 6, 2016, by Shweta

Candid Confessions of a Medical Student

As someone who spends an unhealthy amount of time on the internet, I think it’s safe for me to say that there aren’t a lot of blogs that highlight the everyday ups and downs of being a medical student.

Disclaimer: I’ve only been here 2 months. In the world of medical education, I’m still a fetus with a million years ahead of me. However, being a typical medical student, I like to think I’m qualified enough to dole out a little advice.

1. It’s okay to be a little lost. During my first few lectures, I sat on my invisible throne of knowledge I had picked up over two painful years of biology lessons in high school. Let’s just say that that didn’t last very long. It’s not uncommon to find over 200 medical students sitting in LT1 with varying looks of confusion and desperation on their faces. Just put in the effort and you’ll find that it’s not as hard as it looks.

1. Not everyone is a condescending, stuck up brat. There’s a common misconception that medical students are often patronizing individuals with irritating ‘grammar nazi-esque’ tendencies. Over 2 months, I have met the most amazing musicians, writers, artists and chefs. Just remember, you don’t have to put down a paintbrush to pick up a scalpel.

1. It’s not all work and no play. Medical school isn’t as jam packed as everyone thinks it is. If you stay on top of your work, you’ll have plenty of time to hit the gym, join societies or, if you’re anything like me, just take another nap.

Although there’s so much more to say, I won’t go on any longer. Medical school is a long and exciting journey and it’s impossible to get it right all the time. However, I hope I’ve given you a little peek into what it’s like within the walls of the QMC.

Until next time,

Shweta

Posted in ShwetaUncategorized