August 19, 2024, by bbztlg

A Different Type of Culture Shock: reflections from the Research Culture Conference

In this blog, postgraduate researcher Ilayda Macit shares her reflections and key takeaways from the recent Research Culture Conference.

Portrait of Ilayda MacitNot all culture shocks feel great, but all of them leave you with a changed version of yourself. Luckily, this one was both great and changed me for the better. I am talking (in this case, writing actually) about the Research Culture Conference, that took place on 11th July at the East Midlands Conference Centre.

As a PhD student, spending most of your time with your own project and your fellow colleagues in the same project group, it is common to not know how all parts of research work together. Who brings researchers, funding bodies, investors together? How connected is the research and organisational culture? These were the main questions I had, and all were answered in this conference.

The day started with a presentation about the university’s commitment to improving the research culture. The goal that stuck with me most in the given strategy was creating a community where everyone is appreciated for who they are.

Group photo of researchers from the Faculty of EngineeringI joined the breakout session for the Engineering faculty, and many different branches of work within the faculty were present, from postgraduate students and supervisors, research technical professionals to teams that support/develop research. The main outcome from our breakout session was that each role didn’t really know what was going on with the other one, or problems the other parties are dealing with. And for the most part, the solutions or advice to those problems were available in other groups. A better communication of available opportunities is noted as an essential need. The discussions were so open and solution-oriented, and this lovely bunch of people didn’t say no when I asked them for a group photo!

Photo of speakers on the stage at the conference, taken from the audienceThe existing separation of organisational and research culture was interesting to learn about and plans of bringing these two together, seems like what the university benefits from. The ongoing projects on HR transformation, improving supervision activities, taking care of the wellbeing of researchers and many more were discussed by the diverse panel members. At the end, I felt a strong feeling of ambition and support from these culture cultivation plans, and the people I have met during the day. It was fun taking part in the discussion and to see what is going on in this organisation where I conduct my studies.

I would like to end my blog with a sentence one of the panellists said which is what I was thinking to myself early in the conference: “I didn’t know someone was doing that and there are 8000 people working in our university!” With a more connected research culture, the university plans to bring out a research community that is diverse, inclusive and high performing. It will be great to see this culture grow and positively “shock” other people too!

Ilayda Macit
PhD Student, Mechanical Engineering

Posted in Research CultureResearcher AcademyUncategorized