November 29, 2016, by Claire Henson
Disability December at The University of Nottingham
People and Culture Events Co-ordinator Claire Henson talks about the upcoming event programme taking place in December.
During December The University of Nottingham will be hosting a series of events which focus on raising awareness of, and showcasing our diverse disability cultures. This is the first year we have run the programme as part of the People and Culture Events Calendar and we are excited to share these events with our staff, students and members of the wider community.
The events programme includes:
- Wednesday 7th December, 6.15pm, Highfield House, University Park – A Journey Through Anxiety: a conversation about the lived experience of anxiety.
- Thursday 8th December, 5.30pm Broadway Cinema: A screening of Still Alice, accompanied by a discussion with Professor Justine Schneider, PhD candidate Emily Cousins and Dr Lysia Teo, who will be discussing the Dementia Friendly University project. Find out more here:
- Monday 12th December, 12.15pm, David Ross Sports Village – In Conversation with Charlotte Henshaw: Paralympic swimmer Charlotte Henshaw talks about her journey through sport. Book your place here.
- Tuesday 13th December, 12.15pm, Portland Building Atrium – Abnormally Funny People: a live lunchtime comedy performance from members of Abnormally Funny People. Book your place here.
- Tuesday 13th December, 7pm, Rough Trade Nottingham – In Your Head: live spoken word performance of experiences of mental health. Find out more here.
All events are free to attend and we are partnering with local organisations Broadway Cinema and Rough Trade Nottingham during this programme. This programme is in collaboration with The University of Nottingham Disabled Staff Network (DSN), which is open to all staff from all job families in the University of Nottingham. It works for the benefit of all disabled employees, providing a safe meeting place and a means through which the University can consult with disabled staff. It also runs a confidential Peer to Peer Disability Support Service. If you’d like to join the DSN or access its Support Service, please contact its Acting Chair, Stephen Hodkinson, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to welcoming you to our events. You can contact our People and Culture Team if you have any queries at email@example.com. You can also follow the People and Culture blog throughout the month, as we will be posting news, updates on events, and more. Have an idea for a blog post? Let us know!
[…] This event is one of many being hosted by The University of Nottingham People and Culture Team as part of the Disability December Events Programme. […]