November 18, 2016, by Kirsty McKeown
Welcome to Kegworth!
Each year a number of University of Nottingham students choose to live in Kegworth. It’s a beautiful village with plenty to do so we have chosen to tell you a little more about it in our latest blog. We hope you will visit soon to experience it for yourself.
Loads to do in Kegworth
Kegworth is a vibrant village situated on the borders of Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire, close to East Midlands airport. Kegworth is home to approximately 3,700 residents with around 650 of the residents being students, contributing to the friendly and vibrant community.
Kegworth lies on the River Soar and is an ideal location for country walks by the river. With its great location and excellent travel links, pubs, shops and cafes it’s easy to see why so many people chose to call Kegworth home while they study at Sutton Bonington campus.
If you like sports there are lots of opportunities including Kegworth Imperial Football Club who have senior football teams playing on a Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. The Imperials would welcome players to come and join the club. They are also looking for volunteer coaches for the junior teams. If you are keen to be involved in football, Martin Hawksworth can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
Warm welcome to student residents
Kegworth Parish Council is a great partner of the University and would like to hear from you if you have few hours to volunteer. The Council will soon be carrying out significant improvements to one of their open spaces, Sideley Recreation Ground and would really welcome your input.
ONE Weekend Kegworth were organisers of a very successful event in June last year. Students played a vital role and were involved on the committee as well as taking part in the day by hosting stands and stalls. Plans for the 2017 event are well underway, find out more on http://onekegworth.co.uk or https://www.facebook.com/oneweekendinkegworth
Other volunteering opportunities such as litter picks are popular, especially as the helpers are rewarded with complimentary homemade soup or a BBQ as a thank you!
For the first time last year, the Parish Council organised a charity collection on behalf of Leicester Hospice Charity (LOROS) which saw students donating clothes and reusable items at the end of term which were warmly received by LOROS. This was a great success and the Parish Council intends to repeat this initiative in 2017.
You can find out more about the Parish Council services here:
You can also visit the Council office at 1 London Road, Kegworth. We can answer any questions you may have and you can also collect a Neighbourwood Watch Welcome pack.
The Students’ Union Volunteer Centre delivers a drop in session at the Sutton Bonington Guild every Tuesday between 11am and 3pm, during term time only. You will be able to see all volunteering opportunities available at all campuses and community locations.
Love Where You Live
It wouldn’t be an off campus blog if we didn’t sign off with a message about being a good neighbour written with Kegworth in mind:
- Non-student residents are really keen to welcome our students so say hello to your neighbours! A friendly greeting and smile goes a long way.
- Remember good waste management carried out by everyone keeps your neighbours happy. You can find out what you can recycle and check your bin collection day here. www.nwleics.gov.uk/pages/collection_information
- Polite parking- will work wonders for community cohesion. Kegworth is a compact village with very limited provision for parking so please ensure you park in a considerate way, not obstructing access to drives or preventing free movement on pavements.
- Keep your property secure, especially when you are out or away for the holidays.
- Remember that your neighbours may have a different lifestyle to you so if you are having a party, keep it to a Friday or Saturday night and always make sure you inform your neighbours first, or even invite them. Keep the bass turned down and agree a time that your guests will depart.
If there is anything you would like to highlight that is happening soon in or around Kegworth, let us know so we can share the knowledge!
Thank you for the lovely comments about our village. If you live here, for however short a period you are a full resident and are more than welcome to join in anything that happens in the village. Many in Kegworth feel the student population brings a vitality to our community. So do join in the fun and get to know your neighbours. Big event planned for 3 June. Look out for notices.
Thank you Jerry. Really looking forward to One Kegworth next year!