Love Your Stuff image

November 17, 2014, by offcampus

In The Hotseat: PC Alex Cooney

Today we’re delighted to launch our latest blog series: In The Hotseat. In this series, we’ll be introducing you to various members of teams and organisations in Nottingham that impact on your life here as a student. First up, it’s PC Alex Cooney from Nottinghamshire Police. Over to Alex!

Tell us a little bit about your job: 

My role is that of a beat manager.  I have responsibility for the Lenton Triangle and Park Estate areas of Canning Circus, this covers the main student areas.  Before this role I was part of a city centre pro-active team that dealt with public order, football matches and the night-time economy. Prior to that role I was a Response officer for 6 years (they are the officers who respond to the 999 emergency calls).

My role now involves looking at long term solutions to issues and problems on the area I cover. I spend a lot of time trying to find solutions to issues with residents, students or houses.  I also attend student-focused events to promote student safety and crime prevention. My role requires a lot of contact with partner agencies such as the Universities, Social Services, Housing Providers and the City Council.   We are also used to provide Police presence at community events such as Goose Fair or Splendour festivals etc. We provide staffing to long term operations to tackle volume crime such as Operation Graduate which is a student related operation we run at the start of each academic term.

How do you work with students?

I am part of the staffing for Operation Graduate which runs at the start of each academic term.  This involves meeting and greeting students, providing a visible reassurance and hopefully deterring crime as well. I also part of the new Student Watch project which was being trialed for the first time on my area this October.  I sometimes work with students in a more traditional Police way, dealing with and investigating crimes or incidents they report.

What’s your favourite part of your job? 

It’s very satisfying when an offender that you’ve been working on gets convicted and is given a tough sentence. Knowing that there will be less crime and fewer victims is great.

What jobs have you done before?

Before the Police I worked in the recruitment industry for 4 years and prior to that I was in the Royal Navy.

What do you get up to in your spare time?

Not much… I have a 3 year old daughter who takes up most of my spare time.  I try and get out cycling as much as possible when she lets me.  Although I’ve just completed the Trans Cambrian Way cycling challenge, 3 days across Wales from the border with England to the coast and most of it off-road.  I definitely under estimated how many hills there would be!

What’s your favourite holiday destination?

I’ve had a couple of extended holidays in Thailand which were amazing, it’s a combination of sunshine, beaches and culture.

Any fun anecdotes to share? 

I once had to drive Rihanna in my Police response car.  She was playing at the Ice Arena that evening and had gone shopping during the day.  She attracted a massive crowd and we had to sneak her out of a side entrance to the Victoria Centre and get to her back to the Arena.  Tough day at the office!

Posted in Guest blog