April 9, 2021, by pmyjgs

A Short Interview With Emily Mitchell

Emily Mitchell is an applied statistician and research associate in Mathematical Sciences. We spoke to her back when she was a PhD student and asked her a few questions.

Why did you choose to do a PhD?

I did my integrated master’s in Mathematics with Statistics here at the University of Nottingham, where I continued to work with my supervisor from my master’s dissertation for my PhD.

What is your research topic?

I have been using statistical techniques to analyse UK winter wheat producers and to what extent they can improve their yields given a changing climate and championing sustainable farming practices. The PhD has allowed me to further develop what I learnt during my undergrad and meet others working in a similar field.

What is it like being a part of the Modelling and Analytics for a Sustainable Society (MASS) group?

Being a part of the MASS group has enabled me to attend many conferences and social events as well as sharing an office with an amazing group of like-minded PhD students also with an interest in sustainability.

What have been your favourite parts of your PhD Experience?

I have had the opportunity to travel to various international workshops and conferences across the world during my time as a PhD student, however my most memorable one would be in December 2018 in Pisa. By this point, I knew what to expect from a conference and this one came with the bonus of being based just around the corner from the leaning tower of Pisa.

What’s next?

Following the PhD, I will be continuing as a research associate at UoN working on another sustainability project involving quantifying changes in peatland landscape using satellites of peat surface motion. I could go on for much longer talking about how important peatland condition is for the climate so I encourage anyone interested in sustainability to have a look!