May 8, 2012, by Matt

A Day in the Life of Geographer … Matt Jones

Apologies for my tardy post … looks like the bank holiday weekend turned up just in time after a pretty hectic first week of term.

Last week was spent tidying up the last of the dissertation marking, and meeting all the 2nd year students who are just about to embark on that particular journey, as well as going to various meetings about this and that. Things seem a lot calmer and the diary a lot emptier this week. So I’m going to spend a bit of time this week prioritising which papers and grant proposal need to be written in the next few months.

Last week also saw the end of year (although it’s not) Geography Society Ball ‘The Globall’ (see what they did there?!). It appears, by the number of suited and booted students around the place, to be ball season on campus, presumably to get them out of the way before all the hardcore exam revision starts. The Geography version saw undergraduate, masters and PhD students joined by some staff to enjoy a night in town dancing and trying to extract dissertation marks… or at least that was my particular experience. And it goes without saying that no marks were extracted and some people would argue what they saw wasn’t dancing either!

Geographers!

Looming large on my horizon in the Universities Mayfest on the 19th May for which I organise, along with the help of my colleagues Teresa, Suzanne and Georgina, the Geography contribution. This is always a fun day, but also a long one and takes a lot of pulling together. The Swinnerton lab is already filling up with props of all shapes, sizes and colours so it looks like this year will be another successful one.

One of last year's Mayfest Geographers

This year the local community newsletter I help run, “The Beestonian”, will also be at Mayfest, so I’ll be busy with that too.

Hoping to see some of you there, and looking forward to blogging about it after the event!

All best,