25 years anniversary. Images of Witty Scholars

November 14, 2023, by aczht

Global Entrepreneurship Week – Witty Entrepreneurial Scholarship

Global Entrepreneurship Week 2023 is a celebration of enterprise and entrepreneurial people around the globe. It’s a great opportunity to reflect on the diverse and vibrant work that has been accomplished in the Nottingham University Business School, particularly as it’s our 25th Anniversary this academic year.

The Witty Entrepreneurial Scholarship was established in September 2017 by Sir Andrew and Lady Witty who gave a generous donation to the University of Nottingham. Sitting within the Hayden Green Institute (HGI) of the Nottingham University Business School, the Witty Entrepreneurial Scholarship supports undergraduate students from across the university who have an interest in setting up their own businesses. So far, over 200 students from every faculty have benefitted, with scholars bringing energy and enthusiasm to the work they do and are keen to get involved with many of the exciting initiatives that are on offer across the business school.

Janet Wallace, Witty Entrepreneurial Scholarships Manager said:

“Equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of everything we do on the programme. Our students come from a diverse range of backgrounds with their entrepreneurial spirit being the thing that links them. Many of the Witty scholars are also the first in their family to attend the university, we support them in navigating this and the world of opportunities that are open to them, aiding them, building their networks and developing their skills. With natural creativity and curiosity, the Witty Scholars have a lot to offer and understand the opportunities that are being put in front of them.”

Alumni Junelle Ayettey (Philosophy 2020) and current students Miranda Ntorinkansah (Medicine) and Sultan Adeshina (Management) are fantastic role models. Find out how they benefitted from the Witty Entrepreneurial Scholarships:

junelleJunelle Ayettey (BA Philosophy 2020, International Law LLM 2022)

“I became a Witty Scholar in my first year of university in 2017 when the scholarship programme began. I remember feeling so privileged to be part of the first cohort as I was surrounded by like-minded students from a range of courses. Secondly, it gave me a sense of belonging and little did I know that the scholarship would help boost my confidence! Having Professor David Park, the Dean of Nottingham University Business School, as my mentor was one of the key aspects of the scholarship and his charismatic energy during mentee sessions always left me feeling inspired and ready to take on any challenge that came my way.

“Being able to speak to David about my career aspirations and how to get there was so valuable as I am the first in my family to go to university and have a corporate job. I was very fortunate to have the financial support of the scholarship to go on two international work experience opportunities in Ghana: an internship with an Accra based law firm and an NGO focusing on sustainability through recycling.

“Janet Wallace was so encouraging when I expressed an interest in social enterprises. She showed me the Enactus Nottingham website which led me to work alongside the SANkofa SANitation team when I returned from my trip to Ghana. I also won the Witty Scholar prize in 2019”

Miranda NtorinkansahMiranda Ntorinkansah (Medicine)

“Being part of the Witty Entrepreneurial Scholarship has been one of the highlights of my university experience. At the beginning of the scholarship, I co-founded a company to help students get into medical school. Juggling a business and medical school was a challenge, to say the least, but the support I received from my mentor and other opportunities through the scholarship gave me a lot of insight into running a business and contributed a lot to our success. Now as I approach the end of my time at Nottingham, I am sure of my interest in entrepreneurship and business and definitely want to develop that at some point during my career”

Sultan Adeshina (Management)

“I am a final-year BSc Management student, and this is my second year as a Witty Scholar. During the summer, I had the privilege of completing three internships in London to follow my career interests in Management Consultancy. Thanks to the backing of the Witty Entrepreneurial Scholarship, I was able to approach each opportunity with confidence. The financial support alongside the indispensable professional support played a significant role in my accomplishments. Whether it was the insightful guidance from my mentor, or the practical skills acquired in workshops, every aspect contributed to my accomplishments during this eventful summer. ”

If you’re interested in supporting students and offering your expertise, apply to be a mentor: Apply to be a Witty Scholar Mentor