September 18, 2018, by styjb15

My Malaysia Experience

At the beginning of July, I had the amazing opportunity to travel to the Malaysian campus for our university and undertake one of my third year modules. The intensive ten credit module focused on Global Food Security in an effort to develop a better understanding of the sustainability and diversity of the Malaysian diet. As a result, with an increasingly westernised culture, the nutrition transition, dietary diversification and forgotten foods within the country became progressively apparent.

Throughout the week there were a series of lectures, workshops and field visits that gave me an opportunity to develop my understanding of the status of food and nutrition security in Malaysia. One of the stand out moments of the trip was the opportunity to interview an indigenous tribe known as the Orang Asli, where again I was able to gain an insight into their daily lives and nutritional practices, while also witnessing their traditional warrior dance.

There were also additional trips to various areas in Malaysia, such as; Kajang Market, Pulau Carey, Bangsar and finally Bukit Bintang in Kuala Lumpur where we had the opportunity to visit the helipad bar and view the city skyline in the evening, before eating dinner at the famous Jalan Alor night market. We also had the chance to visit the neighbouring Crops for the Future (CFF) who focus on the wider use of underutilised crops to diversify agricultural systems, improve well-being and manage natural resources within Malaysia

I then decided to stay after the course and travel around Malaysia visiting Langkawi and Penang, as well as surrounding areas around Kuala Lumpur.

Overall, the trip has been the most fulfilling experience and I can only thank the university for providing me with the opportunity to do so.