March 30, 2016, by ICCSR

Why I chose an MSc in Sustainability at ICCSR

I was first exposed to the concept of sustainability during my undergraduate degree here at the University of Nottingham, where I studied management with German after travelling over from Slovakia. By taking modules such as business ethics and sustainable and responsible business, I came to appreciate the grand global sustainability challenges we’re facing – not least in terms of resource depletion and climate change – and the vital role that business plays both in contributing to and addressing them.

I was particularly inspired by Chris Barnatt’s technology and organization module, which explored the potential of innovative technologies – such as 3D printing, vertical farming, synthetic biology and nanotechnology – to address sustainability challenges. I soon realised that I’d like to learn more about sustainability, and even to specialise in it. That’s why I signed up for the MSc in Sustainability at ICCSR.

Since I really enjoyed studying at Nottingham University, and because of the international reputation of the ICCSR centre, Nottingham University Business School was the natural (and only) choice for me. Besides, what better place to do an MSc in Sustainability other than at the number one university for sustainability in the world?

So far on the course I’ve already gained valuable insights, and the lectures are really engaging and interactive. Studying for a master’s degree certainly requires a strong commitment, and it can sometimes be challenging. Fortunately, I’ve always been able to approach the lecturers with any concerns that I have, and I’m very happy with the results I’ve achieved so far.

Many modules on this course involve group projects, which I must admit are not my favourite assignments. But they’re a great way of learning to work in teams and to meet new people from other courses. In fact, a great thing about the course is that you meet exceptional people from diverse backgrounds. There are also plenty of opportunities to engage in activities outside the university – such as the recent ICCSR film screenings related to sustainability and CSR.

I’m glad I’ve found something I’m so passionate about. The course is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to make a significant and positive contribution to our society and to the natural environment. Sustainability is a subject that can’t be avoided anymore, and will without question continue to grow in importance. So I’m happy that I’ve taken the path that I have.

By: Diana Princova, MSc in Sustainability Student, 2015/16

Photo: By IIP Campaigns & Initiatives (Vertical farm) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons