October 4, 2023, by Arts Placements

Global Placement Grant Placement Experience

Think Pacific: A Fijian Summer to Remember

By Jenna Hancock, recipient of the Global Placement Grant

During the summer, I had the opportunity to go to Fiji with Think Pacific and take part in the Youth Empowerment Project. This was partly funded by the Global Placement Grant provided by the Faculty of Arts. The grant allowed me to fulfil this incredible experience and turn a hopeful dream into a reality. Without it, I would not have been able to travel to the other side of the world and learn about a fascinating culture.

What is Think Pacific?

Think Pacific is a charity that aims to improve the lives of young people in Fiji. They offer a variety of different volunteering projects including community builds and mental health and public health projects. These projects immerse volunteers into the Fijian culture in the hopes they can make a difference within the community.

My Project

I had the privilege of spending three weeks in Nairukuruku Village, located in Viti Levu.  We delivered daily workshops to the Fijian youth about mental and public health, environment, leadership, business and sport. The young people were committed to learning new things and fully engaged with every task we set them. These workshops were a great way to build relationships with the Fijians and create lifelong friendships. My confidence levels increased massively during the three weeks of workshops and it was extremely rewarding to experience first-hand.

Experiencing the Fijian Culture

Alongside doing the project, we were split into pairs and invited into the homes of the locals of Nairukuruku village. Getting to see the day-to-day lives of these wonderful people was an eye-opening and inspiring experience. Our Fijian family opened up their home to us and made us feel so welcome, even during times when we were struggling. They provided us with delicious homemade food every single day and looked after us as if we were their own family. Everyone in the village had such big hearts and were more welcoming than any of us volunteers could ever have imagined.

As volunteers, we also had an amazing opportunity to take part in the culture course that was led by the Fijian youth. Every afternoon we learnt about the culture through activities, excursions and workshops. Amongst other things, we learnt; the traditional dance called the Meke, to cook a Lovo (traditional food) and to weave traditional handicrafts.  We also learnt where the village originated from and had a go at farming locally sourced foods. Learning the authentic culture of Fiji was by far the highlight of the trip.

A Better Me

This experience has helped me to grow as an individual and become a more confident person. The project pushed me out of my comfort zone and adapting to these challenging environments, strengthened my resilience . I feel that I am a better person now than I was before this trip having brought Fijian values back home with me. Overall, I would recommend a Think Pacific volunteering expedition to anyone who is considering it. It is an experience that you will never forget and you will leave an everlasting positive impact in Fiji.

Posted in Global Placement GrantVolunteering