September 21, 2023, by Arts Placements

Faculty of Arts Summer Research Placement Programme (SRPP)

by Michael Firth

I became Dr Christina Lee’s Research Assistant intern through the Summer Research Placement Programme offered at the University of Nottingham.  I worked on the amazing team project: Ancientbiotics. As someone who studies Ancient Greco-Roman and Ancient Mediterranean history, entering the field of medieval medicine was intimidating.  However, I quickly found it exciting to learn history that is new to me whilst also performing paid work. In addition, this aided Dr Lee in approaching some of the public-facing content.  I could give honest feedback about what is suitable to an audience with less expertise in this historical period and field of study. I feel that ‘Research Assistant’ does not begin to cover the rewarding work I did during this placement, due to the exciting opportunities that I was able to take advantage of and the amount of vastly different work I approached.

Overall, working with this amazing and talented interdisciplinary team was a truly rewarding experience. Not only have I developed research, liaison, and other essential skills for this career prospect, I have also met and worked with some fantastic people along the way. All of whom offered support and guidance at every hurdle. I started the internship knowing I would learn a significant amount about the field of research. I finished the internship not only with this knowledge and experience but also with the proud feeling that I have in some way assisted a team that I believe is making genuine milestones which will greatly benefit the disciplines of English, history and biology and our health for many years to come.

I would like to thank the Faculty of Arts Placements team for their support, and would recommend anyone to participate. It’s a great opportunity to expand your skillset and experience and work with some talented and friendly people, as well as meet new peers from different courses across the faculty.

Posted in Summer Research Placement Programme