March 6, 2019, by Kelly Calladine

Career paths

My name is Erica and I am on my final year studying Medical Physiology and Therapeutics (MPT) at the University of Nottingham and I am hoping to study medicine after my MPT degree.

I did not go straight onto the MPT course after A-levels, instead I was studying Biomedical Science. In my first year on the Biomedical Science degree course, I spent most of my time working in a laboratory. I realised then that lab work is not really the thing I wanted to do. Therefore, I did  some research on degrees that are related to healthcare science and I found this MPT course. Luckily, I got the chance to transfer onto second year of the MPT the following year and I have really enjoyed it since.

I wasn’t too sure that I wanted to do medicine until I started MPT. The content covered in this course is very similar to medicine, for example, pharmacology, reproduction, neuroscience, cardiovascular, respiratory and rehabilitation etc. We also have chance to gain some clinical skills throughout the modules and sometimes we do actually share lectures with the postgraduate medical student.

Medicine isn’t the only thing to do after the MPT course, students can have a wide range of choices to either go on further studying for Masters, other healthcare degrees, doing a PhD, Scientific Training Programme provided by the NHS, or even go off the tangent and study business or law. Personal tutors, career advisors and one of the final-year modules are really helpful for us to decide what we want to do after this degree.

Aside from the studies, I also joined various societies such as the Open Art Surgery and Marrow, I also play volleyball at the university. Joining these societies gave me chance to know more people outside of my course and it’s a good way to de-stress and relax from the studies.