October 24, 2017, by Katherine Beers
24/7 Library Opening 2017-2018
All of our big six libraries are now open for their last period of 24/7 opening for this academic year, the end dates for libraries will differ according to when the core exam periods close for their faculty areas. We’d like to wish all students good luck with their revision and exams.
Our 24/7 library opening coverage spans the University core revision and exam weeks for the majority of students, we also extend opening at Greenfield and James-Cameron Gifford Libraries to take into account Medical and Vet exam/revision times. Hallward Libary our busiest campus library opens around the clock from mid November until early June for most term and vacation weeks.
Safe and Secure
24/7 opening is an important choice for some students and researchers, and we aim to provide a safe and secure study atmosphere for those people who prefer to study late at night, or early in the morning. With this in mind we partner with a Security Company to keep our libraries open when our library staff go home. Security officers are present from around 9.30pm until around 8.00am.
Services available during 24/7
We have tailored many of our library services and facilities so that they are available throughout 24/7 opening:
- Self service loans, returns and reservation collection are available in all of our libraries
- Self service laptop loans are available via the lockers in Hallward and George Green Libraries
- Libraries that don’t have laptop lockers can take laptop returns at reception desks, unfortunately we cannot issue once the lending desk is closed
- Group Study rooms and some individual study rooms will be left unlocked so you may use these once the booking slots have finished for the day
- NUsearch is available 24/7 and you may access e-resources on and off campus at any time
- Printing credit and fines can be paid for online
Take care of yourselves
24/7 offers flexibility for study, it doesn’t mean that you have to be there around the clock! Here are some handy study tips on how to make the most of your library time without over doing it:
- Take regular breaks, have a short walk around the library or why not get up and browse the book shelves
- Be realistic in your revision and study targets, your brain might take longer to digest information especially if you are tired or stressed
- Bring enough clothing to keep warm – when less people are in the library or if you sit still for long periods the library can feel cold
- Keep hydrated, we provide water coolers in all libraries, and vending machines are available in most, if you need refreshment
- Bring snacks but nothing too smelly or noisy (see advice about eating and drinking below)
- Please be respectful of others studying in the library
- Have a hometime plan, can you walk or travel with friends? You can find out about the University bus services here.
Help us to help you!
Our cleaning staff work longer hours during 24/7 but we’d really appreciate your help if you could clear away your rubbish. We’ve provided new clearly labelled general refuse (black label) and recycling bins (green or blue label) in Hallward and Djanogly LRC.
You may eat cold food and drink hot and cold beverages (no alcohol!) in any of our library zones. Hot food should be eaten in cafes only and please no take aways delivered to the library!
Please don’t leave belongings unattended because thefts are still possible. Also, when busy we operate a clear desk policy which means that we will remove your belongings if left for longer than 30 minutes at peak times.